Posts by GDPR-7

I would vote for an Intel Nuc.

Why ?

intel is actively developing the kernel.

means: GPU, WIFI, BT should or do work OTB flawlessly.

you maybe need to check if you need a separat audio connector

I have no idea if the GPU is sufficing for transcoding.

Anyone ?

as an NVMe SSD I would suggest either Samsung 970 plus (PCIe 3) or 980 Pro (PCIe 4, depends on the CPU on some Desptop CPU's)

for daily work they don't differ much (writing: 3.2 GB/s versus 5GB/s) and the first got a new controller (don't know if this influences the speed)

I own both and the elder 970 plus

have the win11 requirements (e.g. CPU version, etc.) into account, if this could become a need in the future ...

First question

Is what shows in Msg#7 all that's needed - or is there something else to be aware of ?

no idea !

What is -t cifs ?

it's a mount option

more to read ;) :

mount(8): mount filesystem - Linux man page

side note:

(nearly) every unix/linux command has a man page, just google with "man <command>"

Assuming I can get nano working and experiment adding something, is that likely to break anything?

you could backup a copy of the file *before* you want to play with it:

man cp

and

man mv

and

man nano

or

nano Command Manual

maybe for 3.:

have on drive1 .../tvshow2 and 4 as empty directories and mount the second disks directories there

dir's on disk 1:

|--- tvshow1

|--- tvshow2 (empty dir.; mountpoint for disk2)

|--- tvshow3

|--- tvshow4 (empty dir.; mountpoint for disk2)

maybe needs on disk2 two partitions, one for tvshow2 and one for tvshow4.

normal mount tvshow2 should work [1]

but I'm unsure for tvshow4 (same disk gets mounted twice): maybe via bind mount, but I guess: cleaner is with two partition [2]

[1]

- remove all mount scripts you're maybe currently using

- leave the systemd-mount service for disk1 as is and plug the disk in (what in any case would create such systemd-mount service file if none exists)

- wait

- plug disk2 in

- wait

- find out the sytemd-mount-service file for disk2

- adjust that sytemd-mount-service file for the above mount points (and notice that in an howto for new installs of LE)

* maybe the systemd-mount service file for disk1 needs adjustment for the mount point too, cause it usually mount to /var/media (IIRC)

shouldn't that be doable ???

I'm also unsure how to reliable manage that the 2. disk always gets mounted after disk1 (otherwise no mount points for disk2 available)

think of: both disks plugged and the box gets booted

if doable, this should fullfill:

- automatic mounts without user intervention, cause systemd does the job

- it should creates/keep entries in the DB which would/should survive the exchange to one disk only (DB reads the same directory structure)

- no/minimized samba security risks (NO idea if sharing a directories which contains mounted drives introduces some)

[2]

- needs temp. disk space for (some or all of) the content of disk2 what will become partition2 on that disk

nano is an editor !

and it has a menu at the bottom.

the key for the sign "^" is the CRTL-Key, so the keystroke for e.g. "^X Exit" is "Crtl-key + x" and so on

as said before:

AFAIK, you usually don't need scripts to mount shares.

all is managed via "systemd-services" or via samba (what should create the correct services for you) these days.

- but I have no experiences with it -

more to read:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how-to/mount_network_share

thanks folks for input

I guess I'll fix my script with following when it's see's nightlies with same date and diff. hash.

A info to the user saying: sorry, can't decide what the nightlies are (update/downgrade). Try tomorrow !

or the like.

it seems to me slightly better then running wild and ofter an downgrade as an update and vice versa..

will mark this thread as resolved !

EDIT: To be clear, hashes are taken from git commits, we don't have any control over them.

(Git-) Gott würfelt nicht (Einstein) :)

However the current automation should not build new images if there are no changes in the previous 24h period, so the hash for nightlies should always change

given that:

the case two nightlies with same date (in the above screenshot for Generic or the last both) should "usually" not happen on the build system ?

despite all your both answers (thanks) the problem I have in my script isn't cleared enough/yet

it is:

given two nightlies with same build date but different hashes (see screenshot in comment #1: the last both)

Now I need to decide which one is for update and which one is for downgrade ?

- currently I don't (can't ?) work with the date of the last column ! -

so will the hash comparison in the form always be reliable ?

[ "fa73826" > "b78941a" ]

- for the true case: nightly with hash "fa73826" is for update and with hash "b78941" is for downgrade

- and for the false case give: nightly with hash "fa73826" for downgrade and "b78941" is for update

does the comparison always work out, or particularly:

- is the hash from today always higher then the one from yesterday ?

- in other words: can I decide from two given hashes which is the elder and which the newer one ?

===

for the update installer decompression disk space size problem:

would it be an option to decompress in an ramdisk (RAM) if disk space isn't sufficing and RAM would fit ?

I guess it would be an speed improvement too ..

Thanks for your work, I have quickly tested the script on RPi 4B and it works in general, but there are some disadvantages I would like to mention:

- when the download is aborted for some reason, deletion of partially downloaded image is a bad behaviour from my point of view, a better choice should be to use the wget -c so the running script again could continue downloading the rest of the file.

- the script does not detect the upgrade image (but as a downgrade instead) when there are several images released the same day, like yesterday. FYI there's a folder content & debug output including index.html below:

thanks for testing and reporting !

for the last part:

Today I noticed this as well.

my script *doesn't* work in this special today case (same image date and diff git tag) as I thought it would.

=> line 155 ff. ?!

- it's under investigation, needs time ! -

for the first part:

I leave the script regrading this part as is !

why ?

when the download/the script is aborted there might be a somehow damaged nightly in ~/.update

what will happen, when the user forgot about it and reboots ?

I know the update installer does a checksum, but - currently - I don't know what he does afterwards.

In a best case he denies the update and cleans ~/.update.

But, *I* can't relay on such assumption and therefore I clean ~/.update explicit.

feeling more on a safer side !

*I* couldn*t get all what you wrote, but

1. declare "notes"

2. if you login via ssh (in your case: putty) and want to see the content of your added disk the command is

ls -l /storage/mnt

(read: ls _blank_ -l _blank_ path)

I guess you need to learn linux or working on command line under linux

this might help:

Linux Command Line Interface Introduction: A Guide to the Linux CLI | Linux Journal

or

Learning the shell - Lesson 2: Navigation

3. AFAIK, you don't need any script to mount the disk

it's done automatically

1. does a/the Git Tag of a nightly always increase ?

2. does the update installer before decompressing a nightly checks the needed disk space ?

I guess yes, but any pointer where could read this routine/script ?

- searched github, but ... -

P.S.

seems I found a bug/case (still investigating !) I didn't handle in my nightly update script (see screenshot)

same date and diff git tags

f*ck :sick:

thanks Nanomani

is this still *after* un-commenting line 226 ?

I fixed the code in comment #1

and if it's fixed then (it should !): switch Debug OFF again (line 49), otherwise *no* nightly downloads will happen !

already 3 h ago I changed/tested the script here, it now does what it should do

- hopefully without bugs I'm currently not aware of [developers sorrows :sick: ] -

Nanomani thanks for testing and reporting.

could please un-comment the variable DEBUG=0; in line 49

it should read then

# DEBUG=0;

and it then print out some debug info's.

also remove the "#" at line 226

and run the script again

what does it print out at:

compressed image size is:

is there a value or nothing ?

I guess my mistake is that I forgot to un-comment line 226 and after a test here it seems to be the fix (will change that in comment #1)