Posts by GDPR-7

diederik, thanks for suggestions.

I've fixed the most mistakes I made via shellcheck, but not all.

the fixed version of the script is exchanged now in comment #1 to not blow up this thread.

* just a bad habit or in my fingers using rm with "-r".

I couldn't find something "potentially catastrophic";

I delete at three points in the script, always bundled with a true of the prev. command, e.g. cd ~/.update && rm -f *;

that should be fine, cause if nothing is to update there shouldn't be anything in ~/.update (left from me).

also I work in /tmp what is a) cleaned via reboot and b) I delete what I downloaded there

* script runs on LE here with #!/bin/bash

* 'mktemp'

there is a variant using tmpfile with a process number at the end in bash (in sh too ?)

currently can't remember hwo it extactly called ...

* functions

I usually do use them esp. when I need to run parts of the script more then once

All in all the script only should automate some tasks one normally need to do by hand:

- open the browser,

- go to the downlaod page,

- get last nightly link,

- ssh to the LE box

- cd to ~/.update,

- wget last nightly

- or the last three for samba users in one stroke: just place the nightly to the share: ~/.update/

- or further when update via AddOn works the script has lost it's or most of it benefit.

initial target was to keep elder nightly for a roll back; now they're available on the LE server, so what ?

last:

an hour ago I was thinking to extend the script with more hardware types and I discovered that I dynamically could read the info's I need from /etc/issue and kodi.log ... (me idiot :/ )

but as of now it could update Generic and I hope others can do RPi* too (couldn't test; no HW here)

I did not notice the quoted text (rough day today, sorry). So, if the script does check for 0 byte files, please ignore my last suggestion.

your complain was valid !

I left the empty nighly in ~/.update. now fixed.

anyway, a new release of the script what now supports: Generic, RPi2, RPi4

alas I only could test for Generic and also downloading the RPi*, but for those NOT the compare part (last nightly already on the box)

could you please test ?

you could also start the script with sh -vx ./get_nightly.sh

Also, now that the build system sometimes creates 0 byte images, there should be a "fail safe" that e.g. deletes the downloaded file when it is 0 bytes.

as said I own a x86_64 box only, so I couldn't test others, but *try* to come up with a solution.

are you willing to test then again ?

P.S.

I don't think to support Allwinner, Rocketship, etc. e.g. where some parts of the HW Variants are following the nightly git tag !

wouldn't it be advantageous to have an option to save user files or links to user files under a user profile.

so one could point to a users profile to make others aware of - let say - scripts, howto's one maid and would like to share.

currently I need to find the thread and comment in the forum to archive this.

or does an option already exists and I'm - as usual - blind ?

comments / rotten fruits ?

all script versions < 0.10 contained "plain ol' men's thinkO's" and therefore Bugs, so V0.08 is deleted here for now

future: unsure !

sorry

new version

GDPR-7
    July 19, 2022 at 6:50 PM

cause my old download script for nighlies doesn't work anymore with the new download server layout I created a new one.

it could save some work for nightly testers and automate download/file copy work.

+++ EDIT +++

content moved to

Trivial question perhaps, is there an easy way to see what commits have been done since the previous nightly on github?

*I* always do the following:

1. I go to the nighly download page (for my NUC):

LibreELEC Nightly Builds

2. with the mouse I mark the git tag of the last build (today: c66e09a)

*I* need to start marking after the image size (today: 210.7 MiB) so the whole marked strings is now "c66e09a.img.gz 210.7 MiB"

Otherwise a download will start.

Cause I configured my firefox with a search field (right from the address bar) I'm able to temp. copy the above string to that search field.

- copying to a temporary file will do too -

3. now I just mark the git tag only (today: c66e09a) from the string "c66e09a.img.gz 210.7 MiB"

4. next I go to the LE github page:

GitHub - LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI
    Just enough OS for KODI. Contribute to LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

5. I click "Pull requests"

6. I click " <number> Closed" (today: "6.265 Closed")

7. and paste the copied git tag after "is:pr is:closed " so it now reads "is:pr is:closed c66e09a" and hit enter key

=> I'll get the last merged patch merged into the last nightly

8. now I return to the prev. page (browser back one page) and search this last merged patch I got from 7.

- mostly -

all below is already in the current nightly

all above will come with next nightly

i have a libreelec/windows/linux multiboot on my laptop.

on one disk ?

How ?

AFAIK, the LE installer removes all partitions on a disk and leaves no space, so I wonder how you made it (okay, partition resize and then), even since the window's installer (< Win 10) usually reclaims the first partition on the first disk for his self, what would iron the bootsector of LE ..., maybe somehow fixable, but... - don't know ! -

if it's really a one disk system, I guess you got enough knowledge to have a backup and/or you're able to fix ironed bootsector ?

I currently don't know all what the LE updater usually does, but -AFAIK- it update boot files too, at least the kernel image/bootloader files, but partitions ?

Sorry, but i don´t want to do try + error :)

what holds you off to try it in an virtual env, let say "virtual box" ?

As of yet, still cant set write permissions

for *my* taste: that is still fine

*I* wouldn't try to use, esp. write to, the drive any further, until you have a backup !

no friend handy with a spare drive ?

or some cloud storage ?

I guess there is less chance to not reformat the disk !

what do you think the issue actually is?

your filesystem, esp. superblocks are damaged.

AFAIK, superblocks are backup copies of the partition table.

damaged superblocks could lead to data loss.

so what could damages superblocks ?

- faulty treatment with wrong tools not made for that filesystem

- disk is dying => bad blocks

for the last (adjust X, should be "b")

sudo smartctl -t long /dev/sdX

and

after the date/time the first command wrote out !

a subseq.

sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdX

might tell what's up with drive ...

be aware: keep the box running (no sleep mode or such) !

Alternative tool:

BarraCuda 3.5 | Seagate Support Deutschland
    BarraCuda 3.5 – Kurzanleitung, Datenblatt und Downloads.
    www.seagate.com

"SeaTools Bootable" !

Is there somewhere I can have a look to see if Samba issues have been resolved

I guess that should be here:

- https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

=> Release notes

and/or

- https://bugzilla.samba.org/

and

- https://github.com/LibreELEC/Libr…Apr+is%3Aclosed

to see when the samba release hit LE

or am I better off just downloading the nightly every so often and testing?

as a last step in the above list, sure !

Can the sdparm be added to the distribution as well with your next release?

seems it is added:

[le10] Update system-tools to addon (130) by heitbaum · Pull Request #6561 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv
    Backport of #6560 Packages bottom: update to 0.6.8 efivar: update to 38 evtest: update to 1.35 htop: update to 3.2.1 inotify-tools: update to 3.22.1.0 mc:…
    github.com

I guess you'll get it with the next nightly

+++Edit+++

and if so and you're satisfied please mark this thread as resolved (see just under the thread title)

running nightly-20220531-0e57a30

steps to reproduce:

1. select a tv channel (here Sat TV)

2. set a channel switch reminder for a tv show/movie starting in some minutes

3. go to another channel

4. open video text on this second channel

5. wait until the reminder tries to switch to the channel from point 2.

kodi crashes

crash log

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.