Posts by shad

I think the story is: either netflix or unlocked bootloader(CE/LE).

Not sure what Netflix has to do with my post. If it's meant as the reason for people to buy these Android devices, I'm not too sure it makes sense, because most of these devices aren't properly certiefied and often get blocked or work semi well or not at all for DRM stuff. But who knows, maybe that's the reason for most...

Personally I couldn't care less about Netflix. Smart TVs make it possible to watch Netflix, cheap, but solid Amazon FireTV Sticks make it possible etc. If it works with LE - great, but it wasn't the point of my post.

The point was the quoted summary of the issues and consequences from the point of view of media players and projects like CE/LE/OSMC/... this thread is about.

I just thought that projects like LE/CE/... do help those companies to sell their devices and indirectly encourage them to continue with the stance they have regarding cooperation.

And I wondered, how Vero 4k+ fits in into this mess, because the situation is a bit different here, because the hardware and the software comes from the same company.

A quite depressing situation... I wonder if most people are buying these devices because of Android or because of CE/LE/... If the latter is the case, teams should just drop support for devices which belong to vendors not providing help/information etc., even if it means to drop support for all/most. If people would stop buying their devices because of this, maybe then they would decide to be more cooperative. I know, a lot of "ifs" there, but still...

What about devices like Vero 4k+? They provide both: the device and the software. Not CE/LE, but similar, I think. Do they face the same problems as well, or do they have an NDA with Amlogic and have all the sources, (GPU-)drivers etc. they need?

Greetings,

I’ve been waiting for Ugoos (due to their reputation) to release the X4 family devices using S905X4 (because of AV1 HW support), but now that those are out, it appears that S905X4 is dead and won’t be supported at all (by CoreELEC at least) due to a locked video driver or something.

Now I’m a bit lost and would like to ask, what box / SoC with AV1 HW support should I look at, which is supported by LE? Any new recommendations one year since the last post here?

Don't remember having read something similar, but it just came to mind:
    If booting another OS (LibreElec) is not possible, wouldn't it be an option to run it from an virtual machine, which runs on AndroidTV OS? Did a quick search and apparently there are virtualization solutions for android.

Hi all,

I initially created the OpenELEC port to Hisilicon Hi398CV100 in github in the beginning of 2016.

Unfortunately I was very busy since then and I also saw that the successor Hi3798CV200 is more often used in newer boxes. I never bought such a new box but it was always my goal to make a similar port of OE to the new processor.

It seems that LE has now got more attraction. Maybe I will try to build it first for my old CV100 box.

Hi spitzbube,

I've stumbled over the Dinobot 4k (Hi3798MV200) and Dinobot 4k SE (Hi3798CV200) boxes by accident and found them interesting as they would allow me to continue using Enigma2 software for TV&PVR stuff and to use Android for some DRM protected streaming services like DAZN. Using Kodi / SPMC on Android should work too, but my first thought was if LibreELEC would work on one of these boxes as well.

I was a bit "disappointed" when I found out, that LibreELEC dosn't support HiSilicon chips / devices. Although 2-3 years ago there was an OpenELEC image for the previous model, according to the manufacturer. It wasn't quite ready though, but still.

Then I found this thread and your post and the hope increased a bit again. From what I've read here, Kodi 18 as base should make it easier than before. So I just wanted to ask, if you are still interested and motivated to give the HiSilicon support a go?