Posts by hbbs

After a while, I've decided to give a shot on today's nightly build. (10/12/21)

Unfortunately, this bug is still present.

Without DD transcoding is impossible to keep using LE10 as a media center. I've got a lot of media with AAC/Opus multichannel. And all the streaming services use DD+

I want to daily drive LE10. Help to report bugs as I did on previous iterations. But, honestly, it's impossible at this time.

popcornmix is there someone to who I can report this bug?

chewitt H.E.L.P.

Thanks, chewitt.

I was able to update today's build.

Unfortunately, the DD transcoding bug issue was the reason that made me seek the newest build in the first place is still present.

Could you look into that as well?

I try to upgrade to the latest test build available in order to look if this bug (see this) was solved and ended up with a copy unusable.

Without ethernet and with USB disabled. There was no way to downgrade. I was forced to do a fresh install. At first, I thought it could be something else and I did try to use the same image from 11/08/2021 again and the result was the same.

Since it didn't work I did another fresh install using the version I was running before I tried to upgrade today (11/02/2021)

Have anyone else encountered the same issue?

Your debug log didn't show you trying to play a file.

Can you confirm if this works with LE 10?

Since I only own an RPI3B+ I cannot test the Librelec 10.0.1

What I am trying to relate here is that I am running the latest nightly (Kodi Nexus) of today (11/02/2021)

I did try again to capture my issue. This time I let it play in full a Dolby Digital Plus sample file that could be found here: http://media.developer.dolby.com/DDP/MP4_HPL40_30fps_channel_id_51.mp4

And the result was the same. I got no sound on my spdif out. Again, DD and DTS are playing correctly. The issue lays with DD+ being transcoded to Dolby Digital.

Here's the new log: https://paste.kodi.tv/xafawogexu.kodi

Hope that helps.

Thanks for replying chewitt

I was referring to AV11080p software decoding. Can you tell us if the latest Dav1D code already reached the ffmpeg that you guys use to build Kodi upon?

If you look into the changelog there is some ARM NEON optimisations made. That used to meant improvements to the Raspberry Pi. Maybe another dev can chime in here?

I don't expect AV1 will become a thing in the broadcast world. It wasn't meant to be. VVC is the next thing in the broadcast world. But that's years away from us. But nonetheless I will assume that the Pi Foundation won't be negligent to the point of ignore AV1. It is for all intent and purposes the defacto NETVC standard.

Only this month of September was announced three new "Stick devices" with AV1 hardware decoding capabilities from Amazon, Roku and Xiaomi. I'm pretty sure Google is about to launch a revamped Chromecast that will also support AV1.

And since I really believe in the experience of running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi instead of a Stick I would like to ask you a final question.

Since you were talking about raw CPU power in order to playback AV1 10BIT up to 1080p How well does Libreelec runs on the Raspberry Pi 400?

Regards,

H.

Thank for replying chewitt

I already suspected that this was bound to happen. I even mentioned earlier this year. This is sad news. But it opens another questions regarding the future of the Raspberry Pi and software decoding.

And what about AV1 support? Since there isn't any hardware support available. Will there be software decoding on the RPI3/4?

I've just installed the latest available nightly build for my RPI3. And I know there was a lot of improvement made within DAV1D. I've also read in the changelog on the Libreelec GitHub that the latest Dav1d version made into Libreelec.

That being said. I haven't seen any gains on the RPI3. Not even on 720p AV1 video files.

Does this mean that there will never be AV1 software decoding support on the Raspberry Pi 3/4 due to the impossibility of being accepted upstream?

If that's the case. It will be pretty hard to wait until 2023 to see a RPI device with AV1 hardware decoding capabilities.

Regards,

H.

Sorry, I can't give an ETA.

Current priority is to get the hardware video decoders into shape (there are still some bugs to iron out), after that the HW decoder developer may have time to look into RPi3 HEVC decoding again. But that won't be an easy task, lots of things have to be changed so this can take some time.

so long,

Hias

I'm under the impression that RPi2/3 models are becoming too much of a hassle to be maintained.

Hope I am wrong. But what you said sounded a lot like backporting something too advanced to a dying model

Which will be sad. Because I haven't purchased a Rpi4 because my Rpi3 did playback 1080p HEVC 10bit (software decoding) using Librelec 9.

I will only buy another Rpi model when they release a version with AV1 hardware support.

I will revisit this thread in two months' time.

Thanks for replying to it.

LibreELEC 9 (and earlier) contained a GPU accelerated HEVC decoder - this hasn't been ported yet to the new graphics stack of LE 10.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for replying Hiassoft.

I believe I saw your name on a changelog a couple of days ago. Assuming that you're an RPi dev I'd like to ask you:

is there a roadmap until this implementation is done? or at least an estimative?

Please, let me know.

Hi Libreelec,

I have just installed Libreelec for the first time. I'm coming from OSMC.

Here's what happening.

I am trying to setup the Plex For Kodi addon but when I try to generate a pin number a message appears saying that is not possible to connect to Plex.tv.

Something similar is happening with YouTube as well.

I create a log. You can see it here: FjD

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks