Posts by nkb88

In that case I would test whether the situation is improved in the LE9 millhouse builds.

I have two MyGica T230 sticks too which work just fine for me under LE 8.2.3 on my Generic machine, though I use DVB-T2 rather than DVB-C which could be the difference.

Presumably, you've only enabled DVB-C in the TVHeadend adapter settings and have not enabled DVB-T?

Yes - I only use the DVB-C tuner in TVHeadend. I lightly overclocked the RPi3 now and seem to get less freezes - but still once in 10-20 minutes, where picture and video freezes for a few seconds.

Which logfile could I post here to possible get some hints in the right direction here? Maybe the service.log from the tvheadend-folder?

Thanks!

So - I've rearanged my devices and cables this weekend - with only little success: I have no more artifacts when viewing TV, but still slow (or no) channel switching sometimes - as well as short dropouts/freezes of the stream (about one sec).

Somehow - I still cant believe that those dropouts or especially the slow channel switching can be related to interference, but rather to a software or hardware issue.

Anymore hints? Otherwise I'll try to reinstall everything... And maybe switch to LE9

If you're having issues with channel switching then you probably want to in the the TVheadend logfile:

/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.tvheadend42/service.log

Seriously, I have no idea. As I mentioned in my previous post interference can cause all kinds of weird issues. But it's something you can easily rule out by trying the suggestions in my previous post.

Personally, I manually backup anything that's on my storage partition that might be affected by an upgrade. I don't know what stuff you have installed so can't give you a definitive list on what to backup. Just have a look on your storage partition and figure out for yourself which files/folders need to be backed up. Prime candidates are ~/.kodi ~/.config ~/.cache. I don't use the internal backup solution provided by the LE addon, but others may be able to comment further on this.

As mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to try it and you can always revert back afterwards, as long as you've done a backup.

Thanks for your insights and thoughts - I will give your suggestions a try and keep you up-to-date! :)

Thanks so much for your quick and extensive reply, jahutchi! :)

To be honest, I never closely investigated the logs, as I was a little overstrained with the amount of different logs and messages. Which would be relevant log be - to be fetched with dmesg?

I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 by the way, with a Geniatech/MyGica T230 stick using its DVB-C tuner. The RPi3 is enclosed in a simple acryl housing, sitting between the TV and the WiFi router. Beneath to it, there is a NAS with 2 HDDs running 24/7. I guess there are a lot of sources for interference - and I will give your tips a go tonight or the next days - thanks!

Do you think, the slow channel switching can also be lead back to interference problems? After all - as far as I understand - my good signal (SNR 34.0 dB, Signal -27.0 dB) should rather allow fast channel switching? Or is the "switching speed" dependant on other aspects like cpu power, etc?

Concerning the upgrade to LE9: Is the internal backup solution via the LibreELEC menu enough to be able to restore everything as it is now? Or do I have to manually backup certain folders (because you have mentioned to backup relevant folders in /storage).

I am a little confused wheter I should upgrade to LE9 - after all it is a Alpha - but still a lot of people claim that it runs even smoother than LE 8.2.x...

Thanks again for your help! :)

Thanks for the hints jahutchi - I will look into this tonight.

One one hand, I doubt that the quality of the cables is the problem - I'm using an genuine/original RPi power supply (2.5A) and a rather high quality 1m HDMI cable.

But on the other - the RPi is actually located next to my WiFi router, so this could really have a influence, according to what you mentioned.

I will also look into my cable management, as I not really payed attention to that - out of lazyness and out of the fact, that I never experienced any problems with the cables being alinged in a "spaghetti" junction as you are calling it.

But just to be sure that I understood you right: When you are referring to the problems you have been having then - do you mean artifacts or slow channel switching?

And something else: I am having small drop-outs from time to time when watching TV - the DVB-C stream gets frozen for about half a second, then continues again...

Thanks for your help guys - I really appreciate it! :)

(Edit: Out of curiousity - do you think, I should give the latest LE 9 nightly a try - or should I stick to the stable LE 8.2.3?)

Strangely, without doing your recommended steps, the artifacts stopped, but I am having still another problem: Channel switching is really slow, some times the switching doesnt work at all - then I have to switch back and forth in order to change the channel. Could this be related to the previous problem I had? Signal strength etc. is good as far as I know: SNR 34.0 dB, Signal -27.0 dB

I will have to check if it occurs also during playback.

Where to I set and increase the SDRAM value? Is this the ammount of shared RAM, reserved for the GPU?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I still have problems with LE 8.2.3. I moved to a new place this weekend, its the same DVB-C provider, according to TVHeadend adapter status, the connection seems even better than at my old place (-50 at the old place, around -30 at the new place), but I get even more artefacts, slow channel switching, etc.

Anyone have any idea what I could try to do?

Dear LibreElec-Users

I've stumbled upon this thread upon trying to find out, whats causing artefacts and slow-channel-switching when watching live TV.

My setup: Raspberry Pi 3 running LibreELEC 8.2.2 (installed with PINN, parallel to RetroPie and Raspbian), TVHeadend 4.2 with a MyGica/Geniatech T230 over the DVB-C tuner.

The channel switching is really really slow most of the time, I got artefacts on all HD channels (h.264) and when trying to tune in Radio-Channels, the RPi3 reboots after one second of playback all the time.

I am unfortunately a newbie to RPIs/Linux, therefore I do not know, how to use the here posted fixes/reverts and would gladly appreciate some help or someone "pointing me" in the right direction.

Thanks! :)