Posts by chrisssj2

Well, the S912 is not completely blind to the external HDD...

But for some reason it's not showing up in the other listings. Is it by any chance a Seagate external HDD?

Other than that, it's beyond my knowledge. Maybe someone else can step in.

Btw the device im having issue with are 2 seperate docking stations, which HAVE worked before. Just not now all the time for some reason.
    I connected a harddive that is working (for now)
    And through ssh i did cd /var/media and it showed ONLY the disk that was already working, the docking station HD it did not register in the listing.. :(
    (btw is there a ssh command to safe remove a device?)

These are 2 seperate HDD. a WD, Green, a WD RED, and a toshiba.. all same issue.

Perhaps because I updated from 8.2.2.3 to 8.2.4.1?? idk this problem seems so random as i have had it before but ussually connecting it to windows and safe remove fixed it..

The safe remove function should kick when shutting down Windows completely, also removing any suspend/hibernation flags. So perhaps you can try again.

Otherwise, attach the HDD to the S912, run LibreELEC, log in remotely via SSH and give the URLs for the following command:

Code
    blkid | pastebinit
    mount | pastebinit
    dmesg | pastebinit

and we'll see what happens then.

I tried again by shutting down windows with HD attached. and replug in S912. Didn't change anything.

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    After the BLKID command
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    After the Mount command

After the Dmesg command

Not sure wht this supposed to do though.

Sometimes when I reboot it seems to set itself to 1080p. I didn't ask for that, because I have a 4k TV.

Also I need to use the video calibration tool to correct the screen, is this normal?
    I tried my TV settings but it didn't seem to influence the overscan.

I remember coming back to the box and I have to redo the whole video calibration again.
    So not sure on why it isn't saving some things...

- Minix uh-9 Neo
    - Marantz 6011
    -LG55C7

A follow up from my last topic. I updated from 8.2.2.3 to 8.2.4.1.
    I never had issues playing through smb. Though I must say I have only used it a couple of times.
    So after updating now this share, is still accessible, however the screen will freeze for 10 seconds, then turn black for 3 seconds, and then return to Kodi start screen, after trying to start a video file. (4k HDR)

Any idea on what is causing this?

Also some questions on how to best use SMB or other network functions? I have no idea on how to use NFS, i just use SMB since i understand it somewhat.
    The process of adding a new shared folder is very tedious, especially with this stupid remote i have. Is there a way to shorten the adress you need to type?
    You can name you share something like "2" that helps a bit, but still you have to enter the IP adress each time. Also in my network share settings i have disabled the need of a password login, but still Kodi asks me for a password each time for a new share. making the process very long for a quick add.

If I try to access SMB via the network location browsing in Kodi, it will show up ZERO shares. Eventhough I have network discovery on in windows 10...
    This would make the entire thing automatic right? not having me to manually enter each share adress?

If you can tell me how achieve the same result through other means please enlighten me.

EDIT:
    I just found out something the UPNP can also be used for watching videos. at first i wasnt sure how i would get my external devices in the preset folders for upnp. Then I tried adding them as videos in the windows media player library. And tadaa the folders show in UPNP.
    I can add the folders to my Kodi library, and they seem to play!! I guess that sort of solves my SMB problem., but im still curious why I can't see any folders when I access the SMB function network browsing in Kodi.
    And why the video doesn't seem to play from SMB, but does from UPNP...

EDIT2:
    Upon reboot of system and Kodi
    Kodi says could not connect to network server..

Wtf i just connected fine.. Weird..
    So back to square 1!

EDIT3:
    If I re-add the network location that I had earlier. It will work again. Still weird that it doesn't remember the adress/bookmark correctly..

Yes the disks have been connected to a windows machine, but i always try to use the safe remove function. Sometimes windows doesn't allow me to use safe remove and i jank out the usb cable, eventhough im quite sure no programs are using the disk.

However just to be clear, in this instance I SUCCEED in removing the HD via windows, and then I connect it to the Minix. But it won't show up. I do get the msg if it was removed though.

The disk also has no errors i checked it.
    How do i check if hibernation or suspend flag are somehow active?

chrisssj2

I suggest you get a tool like DiskMark or similar and simply run a performance test on the HDDs. Perhaps it's not the box but the drives.

4-8MB/s is a far cry from being enough for 120mbps video. Remember there are 8 bits in a byte. So for 120mbps video, you need your drive to be able to transfer at the very least 15MB/s.

But I don't really see why the drives are so slow, USB 3.0 HDDs today should be able to copy over large files at close or even over 100MB/s.
    On the box they'll be limited by the USB 2.0 interface, but around 30MB/s should not be a problem, and is plenty fast.

Ok so WD Lifediagnostic checked out OK. no faults.

Here are the result of Diskmark, default test settings:

Normal drive without issue:

Screenshot by Lightshot

Buffer issue drive:

Screenshot by Lightshot

Not sure what To tell from these screenshots.

Simple question is this a Hard drive power draw issue ?

Be aware plugging multiple 2.5" Hard drives into ARM based devices at the same time is bound to cause trouble unless you use a powered USB Hub for reliability.

3.5" Hard drives with their own power supplies will be OK.

All my Drives are 3.5 External HDD's with their power supply and I have only 1 Harddrive connected to the Minix at the same time.
    Most of them are WD elements, some intenso, and the one with the buffering issue is a seagate. I will test with some other drives aswell this evening as I have the movies spread out across many harddrives.

chrisssj2

I suggest you get a tool like DiskMark or similar and simply run a performance test on the HDDs. Perhaps it's not the box but the drives.

4-8MB/s is a far cry from being enough for 120mbps video. Remember there are 8 bits in a byte. So for 120mbps video, you need your drive to be able to transfer at the very least 15MB/s.

But I don't really see why the drives are so slow, USB 3.0 HDDs today should be able to copy over large files at close or even over 100MB/s.
    On the box they'll be limited by the USB 2.0 interface, but around 30MB/s should not be a problem, and is plenty fast.

Yeah it was strange to me too. The only 2 reasons I can think of either the harddrive is die-ing or just really bad, or because of the 3 GB free space it has. (but somehow i doubt that this is rly the issue.) Defragmenting takes weeks on a drive that big with a million files on it(literally a million or so) (which i also doubt has the desired effect)

Im running western digital life diagnostic with extended drive check Should be done in 6 hours. Then I can check with DiskMark.

Sounds more like a problem with your particular box than with LE.

Which minix model? Have you checked how the same content works from Android?

Android kodi gives me the same result.
    Minix uh-9 neo

Some smart info: WD Elements ( the one which didnt have any buffering issues with 120 MBPS jellyfish or a movie with 75 MBPS.

Screenshot by Lightshot

Screenshot by Lightshot

Buffering HD smart info:

Screenshot by Lightshot

Screenshot by Lightshot

Im going to bad sector check this drive because idk what else I can try.

file runs for me on 8.2 and 8.9 via nfs

Here are my findings. I tried the jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv.

On one harddrive where I had the movies with buffering issues.
    And on a seperate drive.

Tried this via SMB. The harddrive with the buffering issues again had visual slowdown, the video took 1:07 to complete as to the 30 seconds.
    Though this time no buffering icon/loading.

Tried the one the other drive also via smb. Instant fluid loading video took 30 seconds to complete.
    Tried the 1st drive with the buffering issues once again. This time the video was perfect wtf??? I don't get it!
    So either it flukes out or.. idk.. I thought I found the problem and it was the HD fault, but then it plays it back perfectly...
    Maybe the 2nd drive will also slowdown and i just got lucky.. to many unanswered questions..

Just to note:
    Buffering issue harddrive is 3.63 TB with 3.70 GB free(shouldnt matter right?) Seagate

2nd Harddrive is 4.54 TB with 102 GB free WD desktop elements

If I copy the 120 MBPS file of jelly fish from both HD's to my SSD.
    Buffering HD will get 4-8 MB per sec mostly around 4 MB per sec
    2nd HD is INSTANT? lol.. i don't understand how that is possible but it appears instantly on my desktop if I copy it from the 2nd HD.

Instead of having to ask for each detail in a separate post/question, how about providing the full debug-enabled Kodi log file?

Unfortunately, a crystal ball is not yet part of our standard bag of tools.

Well I assume im not the first user to come across this issue? Playing videos within a certain bitrate is not a special function?
    Or are you saying that I am one of the few to experience this issue and most have no issue with high bitrate files.

hastebin

Yes.

Alpha software on any hardware platform = buggy with any number of hidden problems and issues.

You are using what could be called be labelled experimental software, it simplys need more time to mature and iron out the bugs.

Simply stop using bleeding edge software releases and go back to using something that is comparatively stable that being LE 8.2.x Kodi Krypton.

Yes to which question?
    Anyway I went back to stable 8.2.2.3 something
    And the problem still persists, just as I thought it is NOT just a bleeding edge problem.

I tried the Jelly fish 50 to 120 MBPS. and all have problems.

-50 Mbps Jelly Fish takes around 41 seconds - No buffering slight visual slowdown
    -60/70 MBPS some small buffering towards the end of the video

70 MBPS and up only gets worse from there on
    At around 120 MBPS the 30 sec video is taking over a minute.

As for movie examples:

-------Works Fine

The Bourne Identity

Overall bit rate : 60.8 Mb/s

Bit rate : 51.9 Mb/s Video

Kingsman The Secret Service

Overall bit rate : 53.4 Mb/s

Bit rate : 45.2 Mb/s Video

-------Buffering isses

The Bourne Supremacy

Overall bit rate : 74.0 Mb/s

Bit rate : 66.0 Mb/s Video