Posts by lcgh

Dear all,

is there a chance to get the Hifi Shield 2 (Odroid C2) working under LE?

It seems it is possible for Hifi Shield+ Odroid C2 + HiFi Shield+ but HifiShield 2 was not mentioned.

The specs are here accessory:sound:hifi_shield [ODROID Wiki]

It seems it requires the following kernel modules (see instructions at the page linked above):

Code
    modprobe aml_i2c
    modprobe snd-soc-pcm512x
    modprobe snd-soc-pcm512x-i2c
    echo pcm5242 0x4c > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-1/new_device
    modprobe snd-soc-odroid-dac2

Thanks and best.

Ah - MIA - what a pity, thanks for the info. So somehow there should be at least a small note in the info that the addon does not work with every skin.

Now for mpc (see build number) on a RPi2/3:

Code
    LibreELEC (community): devel-20180424210314-#0424-gadc0ff9 (RPi2.arm)
    LibreELEC:~ # mpc volume 50
    [paused]  #1/13   0:00/5:36 (0%)
    volume: n/a   repeat: off   random: off   single: off   consume: off
    LibreELEC:~ #

Please ignore the 'n/a' value next to volume, this is just because the test was done with a LE image that was configured for a DAC configured with alsa. And the RPi3 used was a different one without the DAC on it (no time to reconfigure alsa). So everything seems to be fine :-). Sorry, I could not test on PC and it seems LE does not work within VMs/virtualbox (anymore). But I assume it will work, too.

best,

lcg

Well, I can ask directly in the kodi forum and not here as I assume there the development takes place. What I saw is that the estouchy menu structure is vertical on the left side but with increased font size. All in all not that much different from estuary. For a touch device it would be much better to place the whole menu all over the screen (like the settings main menu), and not just like a menu on the left side (maybe I oversaw some tweak to allow that?). This is more efficient and easier to handle, especially for such resistive touchscreens. And adding small arrows to touch/ click on it for vertical and/ or horizontal scrolling or adding bars if more is covered than the screen area can contain. No need to discuss this in detail, but this was already the case for the older re-touched skin (not to mention that the keyboard does not work properly anymore once the skin is active...). So using estuary instead of estouchy is a better choice in case of a resistive touchscreen + reducing the number of main menu entries, and the rest works quite fine.

btw - please see here Estouchy Skin and scrolling?? - this problem seems to be known, it is a mixture of kodi-specific and skin. But it does not seem to be fixed in Krypton, and from the forum discussion it is also unclear whether this change made it up to the main menu and not just into settings.

hm... not fully more useful, I also tried estouchy (which had to be tweaked manually for the resolution, because with default settings it did not start at all with my touchscreen). But the problem reported is exactly the same. And this is true for every menu which has no bars to scroll up/down. I assume all the skins are not made for resistive touchscreens, but only for capacitive touchscreens.

Anyway, a workaround is to reduce the main menu points and the configs can be done once via keyboard.

Thanks vpeter,

any additional info "how" to try this out? Yes, touch itself works, selection works, too, but moving the finger or the pen (which came with the resistive touchscreen) does not result in real scrolling. In case of bars it works. Using keyboard arrows the navigation is without any problems. It seems to me that this is a problem of the skin(s) per se.

Example: just tried under PC/Windows with mouse (Leia Alpha build, but I expect this to be the same as I use Krypton with the RPi) as you pointed out that the addon emulates mouse:

• scrolling is only possible downwards in main menu (estuary) while just moving the mouse and doing nothing else
    • scrolling is not possible with mouse upwards if not the mouse wheel is used
    • mouse wheel works as expected (scrolling up and down)

So if it works not for the mouse, it won't work for the touch unless the touch emulates also the mouse wheel. Is it that way?

thanks and best.

lcg

Dear all,

I use an old egalax touchscreen (resistive, via HDMI->VGA, 1024x768) and install + calibration worked rather well. Now I have a problem with all skins on LE Krypton:

If a menu has more entries (e.g. main menu) vertically, I can manage to scroll down to see what is at the bottom, but it is impossible to scroll up again. There is no place where touching results in upwards scrolling. Instead, the touch results in some selection of a menu that is just there where the touch is placed. For downwards scrolling it is sufficient to go to the bottom. Is there any possibility to fix that? If e.g. a file is selected for playing (which can be a long list, at least longer than the vertical resolution of the screen), this is no problem, because there are small vertical bars at the side to scroll down and up. But for the main menu(s), there is no such scroll bar.

Can such bars be added (at least on demand) or is there another possibility?

Thanks for any hints.

best,

lcg

Sure. Please see below.

Probably some things have to be tweaked more like repeating button presses, etc. But with that old remote it seems it depends on the actual hardware one uses. I use two identical ones that behave slightly different if it comes to repeated button presses. One has also to check whether the names fit.

May I ask another question? Using the 'raw' mode and adding this to lircd.conf, this is always sufficient if the key names match the entries in Lircmap.xml/ lircmap.xml?

best,

lcg

Hi Hias,

yes, it works :-). I can confirm that the old xbox-remote works if the lircd.conf was created via the 'raw'-mode. A TSOP 38238 vishay was used bought from a German raspishop. I had some problems with keys, but these are more related to the IR remote itself and being really old than LE, lircd, or the IR receiver. The OS is LE latest Millhouse build (2018041802427-#417-ga934092) and the hardware is a RPi1 (version with P5 header). But it should work on every RPi that way.

The lircd.conf has still to be adjusted a little bit along with the names to match lircmap.xml, but these are rather minor issues.

thanks again!

best,

lcg

Cool. Thanks! will try out next few days and send a short report. Good, if it works within a VM I can test both addons. Basic functionality is easy to test with mpc, and that is all was is required (adjust volume, etc.)

btw - I found out that the mpd-client on LE is broken for Krypton and Leia probably due to the main skin (estuary). Switching to old Confluence shows it works. Strangely, installing kodi on Win 7 64bit the mpd client worked there also with estuary. I wrote a short bug report on the github page of the developer (Crash while starting Kodi Krypton/ Leia (LE built) · Issue #40 · lzoubek/xbmc-plugin-mpdc · GitHub), but it seems some time ago someone reported a similar problem, but the result was unclear (my trials are reproducible), and the problem is still there.

Question - is this something I can post here or not?

best wishes,

lcg

Thanks Hias for those detailed explanations,

- IR receiver -> tried different ones which indeed differed in responsiveness. Best was a TSOP38238 VISHAY. One worked only if the IR was directly before. But should not be a problem to buy another TSOP34138 as you pointed out.

- for some trials I switched back to plain raspbian lite (feel better with an apt-environment) and tried an old WD live remote, configured it with irrecord and it properly gave event keys as output. Strange are only (not always) escape sequences while pushing buttons on the remote with 'irw', like e.g.

Code
    ^[[B + KEYCODE
    ^@ + KEYCODE
    ^[[D + KEYCODE

but basically the receiver and lirc seem to work. Will reproduce this next few days with LE, same IR receiver, same remote.

For the old Xbox remote, the first trial with the 'raw' option was promising - cool, this was unknown to me. First, a file was created (was not possible before) with 'irrecord', and afterwards 'irw' gave an output (although not for every key properly, so I have to repeat the procedure, but that's maybe due to the IR remote being really old).

So I think with the 'raw' option it should be able to manage the situation also for LE. After it worked with 'mode2', but not with any other of the configure tools (except the 'raw' mode), it was obvious that it probably uses a non-standard protocol.

Btw - for PC I found a page on the net for a 4.14(?) kernel that offered a slightly adjusted version of the lirc_xbox module (I use kodi also on a PC, so I can continue there for a while, and for the RPi the GPIOs are really easy if the IR receiver is ok).

Thanks again!

best,

lcg

Sure! Thx + pretty cool, yes I can try it out - RPi2 (should work for RPi3, too, right?) and RPi 1 (old one with the P5 header, sorry don't know exact model, but it is from 2011-12/ chinese production, exact model is not printed on it):

LE runs within a VM? Then I can try also normal PC x64.

Dear CvH,

after using mpd server for a while, is it possible to add the 'mpc' binary as well to the addon? This would allow to match the volume so that while starting kodi and mpd approx. match the same volume level. The start script can be modified individually ie. manually to do that.

Here are the libs required (run on raspbian):

Code
    root@raspberrypi:~# ldd $(which mpc)
    /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libarmmem.so (0xb6ef3000)
    libmpdclient.so.2 => /usr/lib/libmpdclient.so.2 (0xb6ecd000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 (0xb6d8e000)
    /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0xb6f09000)

btw - if someone wants to use mpd server with a different LE built, ie. not the Millhouse one, this can be achieved by using a normal raspbian install and copy all libs related to mpd in one dir, copy them to LE into a unique dir and adjust the path-to-search libraries. I can confirm this works (before the Millhouse builds were updated with mpd server addon). The following commands are helpful:

on raspbian - it can be required to run this on some libs as well if these also depend on other libs, so one really collects all necessary libs:

Code
    ldd $(which mpd)

There is surely some bash possibility with 'find' to do this automatically.

On LE, run for the directory where all libs + mpd + mpc are located (I just use '/storage/mpd' here):

Code
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/storage/mpd/

start mpd (of course it requires a working mpd.conf):

Code
    /storage/mpd/mpd --no-daemon /storage/mpd/mpd.conf

The calls for LD_LIBRARY_PATH and to start the mpd daemon can be put in some autostart script or whereever suitable. And it requires a proper alsa.conf to work with kodi.

Hij HiassofT,

thanks for the infos. Will try that out. First glance seems to be that the original xbox remote does not work that properly with the GPIO driven sensors in contrast to several other IR remotes I tried. I have two of those old xbox remotes and tried both with new batteries, and from time to time the pulse/space values had values >>>2000, but sometimes also below that. - And btw - both remotes work perfectly with a very old Millhouse Leia built on a RPi2 along with the original USB xbox dvddongle before this module was removed from the kernel (what a pity... I mean it is not a monolithical kernel issue, it is just a module and worked perfectly for many years now).

Would it be possible to "tweak" the "driver options" so that the pulse/ spaces are interpreted differently (I ask because this unknown territory for me, but if there is a trial&error way it can be investigated)?

But will try out the xbox.lircd.conf's.

best wishes,

lcg

Dear all,

can anyone help me to get an original xbox remote working. I use a RPi1 along with a GPIO receiver

GPIO config and boot output:

Code
    leia1:~ # cat /flash/config.txt
    dtoverlay=gpio-ir
    Code
    leia1:~ # dmesg|fgrep lirc
    [   15.798007] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 245
    [   16.430358] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (gpio-rc-recv) registered at minor = 0

version of Kodi Leia used:

Code
    LibreELEC (community): devel-20180418020427-#0417-ga934092 (RPi.arm)

output of ir-keytable:

Code
    leia1:~ # ir-keytable
    Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event2) with:
    Driver: gpio-rc-recv, table: rc-rc6-mce
    lirc device: /dev/lirc0
    Supported protocols: lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce_kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
    Enabled protocols: lirc
    Name: gpio_ir_recv
    bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
    Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

using raw signales with 'mode2'

So basically the remote is recognized. Here is the lircd.conf copied from an older LE Leia built where it works with the old original USB IR receiver on a RPi2.

Now, the ir-keytable does not give any event output so I cannot create a proper keytable. I tried every protocol of the supported ones, but no output at all. Does this mean I have to switch to another remote or what can I do? Out of curiosity, I tried an old WD live remote which worked with the 'nec' protocol ie. it produced events, but I want to understand why the old Xbox does not work and then use it (see above, raw signals do work). Here the trial with the WD live remote:

Code
    leia1:~ # ir-keytable -p nec -t
    Protocols changed to nec
    Testing events. Please, press CTRL-C to abort.
    4471.469693: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x847908
    4471.469693: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
    4472.559743: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x847904
    4472.559743: event type EV_SYN(0x00).
    4473.289678: event type EV_MSC(0x04): scancode = 0x84790a
    4473.289678: event type EV_SYN(0x00).

Still there is from the RPi2 built (see above) a lircmap.xml and Lircmap.xml that worked there. Copied them to try out whether kodi will work with it despite ir-keytables shows nothing, but without success. However, manually starting kodi via systemd 'systemctl start kodi' and looking with 'ps aux' lircd was properly started with

Code
    leia1:~/.kodi/userdata # ps aux
    PID   USER     TIME  COMMAND
      803 root      0:00 {kodi.sh} /bin/sh /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.sh --standalone -fs
      807 root      7:10 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs
      892 root      0:00 lircd --device=/dev/input/event2 /storage/.config/lircd.conf

Thanks a lot and best regards.

If someone wants to reproduce kodi + mpd-server, please have a look at MPD als Systemdienst mit ALSA und Pulseaudio – DebianforumWiki and just take the config part regarding default-alsa and mpd and leave out the pulseaudio-config part. At the bottom there is also an explanation how to configure mpd.conf properly.

You can ignore the German if you do not understand it - the config itself should be self-explanatory.

Confirmed that this works with Libreelec Milhouse build + mpd-server (kodi youtube addon, mpd from NAS, aplay from locally).

You can replace mpd.conf in the addon config folder and asound.conf is located here: /storage/.config/asound.conf. if not present, just create it with nano or any other text editor.

For the bitperfect part, this is not bitperfect anymore as dsp takes place due to the mixing itself. But probably this is clear anway.