Posts by AGLyons

I'm not talking about add-ons I'm talking about straight up locally hosted video files.

"I'd say that covers about 95% of your currently installed repositories" - 2, I have two add ons for TV shows. Your comment makes out like I have every illegal add-on known to man. Are you trying to tell me that everyone else on here doesn't have ANYTHING installed in the system? Just like EVERYONE is just watching their kids recital from Christmas last year! No no, they wouldn't be watching anything they've downloaded from the net, no way.

If YOU don't want to overlook 2 add-ons and help a guy out then kindly pass this post by.

Thanks in advance.

Id like to be able to update the version of Kodi within the LE system. There have been bug fixes in recent Kodi versions that may resolve some stability issues I've been having lately.

On x86/64, playback freezes while the audio buffer continues to play out until eventually the system locks up. I can still SSH in and systemctl reboot. Playback will always stay at the beginning of the file as if the last played position was not recorded to continue from.

Don't mean to start a bug report here.

What kind of sdcard are you using? Cheap cards are notorious for instability and older cards can sometimes need to be cleaned (partition wise) and fully reformatted before using again. Sometimes they also just die. Try a new one and see how that works out.

Another thing to check, the power supply. The Pi4 had some concerns with power supplies. It needs a super stable, high output power supply our there are stability issues. Go with the Pi branded ones and you should be good.

Is it currently possible to update the version of Kodi installed in LE?

I just saw that v18.4 if Kodi was released with bug fixes. Being that Kodi is an app within LE, is there an SSH command that would pull the latest stable Kodi version?

If not, is this a feature that could be added in future versions of LE?

Not intentionally - SMB shares (smb://) is working fine here. What issues are you seeing, with what server, please post a debug log.

All of a sudden, for me, my SMB shares stopped working too. Operation not permitted was returned.

After pulling out the last two hairs from my head I determined it to be an SMB version issue. Capped the max SMB version to v2 and was able to browse SMB shares on my Synology again.

The confusing thing is everything was working fine for ages prior to this popping up.

Now, I did make some security changes on the Synology in response to security concerns about ransomware attacks. But I never touched SMB version settings. it was and still is set to use SMBv1 though v3.

This issue popped up on both my x64Generic and OdroidC2 installs.

I posted this to the support forums - Backups and restore.....to different platform?

I don't think I'm the only person that has done this before, create a backup of one system and restore that backup to another system with the other system being a different platform (oDroid to Intel) thinking that it would help with how much configuration work needs to be done to get the systems how we each like them customized.

I would really like to see a true, cross-platform, system configuration "duplicator" in a way, be built into LE.

To simplify development, perhaps the current backup and restore functions could be tweaked to allow this kind of use case.

Many thanks in advance!

Something just came to me and I was wondering if it may actually be causing the issues I've noticed.

I have two systems but each system is different. An Intel box with an Nvidia card and an oDroid C2.

Because Kodi can be extensively customized what I did was build a system out how I like it and then save a backup. I then installed a clean LE into the other system and restore the backup.

Would that backup of the other system contain the specific system for that specific hardware (ie. an oDroid C2 image restored to the Intel box) or are the backups universal in a way and can be used in this manner?

I've gone through quite a few different remotes until I found this one. While this one does not run on IR, I find that it works the best for Kodi and is built better than a lot of the clones of it out there. A tad more than your $30 limit but I thin kit's worth it. Rechargeable battery (that last a really long time, months) and back-lit keyboard.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/b01m2zr2lt/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=utf8&psc=1

I know it doesn't tick all your boxes but....

I know there are a few threads about specific platforms, like NUC's from people looking for HDR output. In my case I am running an old 8 core desktop, currently with an Nvidia. While it doesn't do 10 bit on hardware, the CPU's are beefy enough that they breeze through it.

I'm curious to know though, what kind of action is happening in the display card front currently that can pull of 10 bit 4k HDR output in LE?

Anything happening with that or in the near future?

Great work so far guys, loving v9

A reply from Rockchip,

"Some developers is working on upstream for ROCK Pi. We already have the mainline u-boot and mainline kernel booting on ROCK Pi already.

You can wait for the official announcement and mainline images for

ROCK Pi."

Hey chewitt, thanks for the details. They've unfortunately gone right over my head lol.

I have no idea what xorg is let alone how to get it in debug mode lol.

I think I've come up with another method to fix the issue.

Replace the reciever with one that supports 4k!

Thanks again.

One of the design goals for K19 is the removal of all vendor proprietary interfaces. iMX6 is already gone and VDPAU/amcodec can be removed once the K18 release branch is forked. VAAPI gets a pass because it's no longer Intel specific (AMD and Allwinner will use it). One of the related design goals for LE10 is the removal of X11 and it's many dependencies.

The next generation Kodi video pipeline based on DRM/GBM allows us to support 10+ different GPU/SoC types (everything except nVidia) under a single framework and code path. There is nothing to stop someone implementing EGL streams, but it's not going to be popular with the main Kodi architects (given the design goals) and so far nobody is volunteering to do the work.

Unless that situation changes there will be a technical decision to terminate nVidia support after LE 9.0, and we are actively collecting stats on the number of installed devices with nVidia GPU's to quantify the impact of that decision. NB: If LE ends nVidia support you can still install drivers under Ubuntu or some other distro using Wayland or Xorg.

I'm one of those Nvidia users ATM. Can we take what you wrote to the bank? About "everything except nVidia" being supported? If that's the case, from what I understand an AMD RX560 should be supported and provide 10bit H265 in addition to 4k60 and HDR.

If that is the case I would not have a problem moving to AMD for the LE HTPC.