Posts by Billzilla

Okay A minuscule bit of progress. I got access to TVHeadEnd via my browser and started setting it up. I was then asked to log-in again and when I entered the correct user & password it refuses to recognise them. I have double checked this with the settings on the LE box. I entered them again to be sure.
    And since I can access the LE box on the network, how on earth can it not see the homegroup ???

Any helpful suggestions please?

Accessing LibreELEC [LibreELEC.wiki]

Use PuTTY to access the box over SSH, run "nano /storage/.kodi/userdata/sources.xml" and edit the sources to have valid URL's, then save (Ctrl+O) and exit (Ctrl+X) and reboot the box.

Okay I tried that and made things worse. All the URL's were correct but since I never use the other options such as music, etc, I deleted those. And now it can't find the Workgroup at all.

Okay I've found the thread that blueribb started and it's quite helpful. On it is a post from CypherZ ->

smb://<IP of your pc>

• Add a extra user on your pc
    • Give that user a password
    • for example : user : Kodi password: kodi

Go to the shares on your pc that need to be shared for kodi.

Rightclick the shares, select share and select the user you just made to have access.

Do that for all folders you want to share with Libreelec.

Go to Libreelec, and add the shares and give in the username and password of the created user on your pc.

I've done all of that. When I try to connect with the LE box, an 'invalid argument' error window pops up. Maybe I'm not getting the syntax or something not quite correct, I'm not sure. Anyway, some screen-captures from this W10 box, to make sure what I've done so far is correct.

If you don't understand the instructions given to you in this thread, you should seek a friend or relative that can help you. I had the same issue that you're having and the good folks here stepped me through setting up a working SMB network. It took me a while to fully understand what is going on.

Good Luck

Yes I've asked a friend who's much better at this than I am. I was also hoping that someone here could also step me through the process but that hasn't happened.

I'd also wonder a little if the IP address of the Win10 PC has been changed/reassigned by the router when it rebooted.

If so the links within KODI may now point to the wrong address and so failing? You can see the IP address in the web dashboard page of the router (usually) and the address that the LE source is using by editing it.

It probably has, but the LE box can't find this computer on the network so we haven't got that far yet.

chewitt was trying to explain the complexity behind the issues that have lead to your disatisfaction. Even though it may not have solved the problem that you have faced, your response is somewhat ironic given the title of the thread.

Not ironic on my part at all. I asked for help. The reply was to do a bunch of things that I didn't really understand, so I asked for a little more help. I got a condescending reply that did not help at all. What's the point of having a help forum if no real help is given?
    As I've said before, if I knew the answers then I wouldn't be asking.

Billzilla Can I suggest you read the section "SAMBA / SMB CHANGES" in the release notes:
    LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.2.1 MR – LibreELEC

In particular the bullet point relating to "anonymous and guest shares" as you must now create a user with password in Windows 10 and add this user to your Windows 10 share ("the share account") then configure Kodi on LibreELEC with the username and password of your Windows 10 share account.

If you've managed to setup a Windows share then you should now be able to add the required user, allocate it to the share you've already created, and then configure Kodi accordingly.

Please be aware that the problem you are experiencing is not a LibreELEC issue - it's a problem caused by your Windows PC that you have updated and which you are responsible for.

Ta. I have read that section and as I've mentioned I don't fully understand what it all means. A bunch of people must have done it many times so it can't be all that difficult to explain. I'm guessing it's all tucked down somewhere in the Windows share options. The LE box must access the network stuff the same way for every LE box, and Windows doesn't create new obscure options for each and every LE box so it just can't be that difficult to do if you have a bit of knowledge. I know virtually nothing about networking unfortunately.

Not good enough.
    As I made it very clear in my other thread I didn't know the details of what you were talking about and I spent a fair bit of time trying to work it. Everything I looked at just made it more confusing. Much the same thing happened months ago here - No-one was really helping, and the only solution that I could use that finally worked brought cries of horror from members here. "You can't do that!" and "It's not secure!", etc.
    If you aren't actually going to help then please stay out of the thread.

Okay what I find rude is the unwillingness to pass on help here. Every time there's a question about how to get the network sharing working because it's suddenly broken the answers quite often are not answers at all, they are just some vague instruction to go get help somewhere else.
    IF WE KNEW HOW TO DO THAT WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO ASK. It's not difficult to understand this. We aren't asking for extensive lessons on arcane networking procedures, we just need a few tips on what box to tick, etc.

Can someone please create a definitive thread on how to get the sharing working.

Up until yesterday morning the LE box was working just fine and able to access the media files that are on this Windows10 PC. For unrelated reasons I had to reboot this PC and after that the LE box cannot find this PC. It finds the other PC (Windows7) on the network, but not the one with the media files. (this one)
    I just checked and the LE box is on version 8.2.5

A bit of help would be greatly appreciated. I've had a read of this page - LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.1.2 BETA – LibreELEC - but I don't know what a lot of the thing mean sorry.

Edit 1 - I am trying to access the LE box via a browser & IP address but it's asking for a user & password. I have no idea what they'd be as I have never set any.