Posts by djnice

Feedback for LE 8.90.006 on Z28 Pro (RK3328):

Issues:

- VC1 videos are not HW accelerated

- 1080i 59.94 fps h.264 videos are not deinterlaced and played at 29.97 Hz

- 576i 50 fps mpeg2 files with pulldown flag (iso, mpg, vob) are not deinterlaced and played at 25 Hz

- 480i 59.94 fps mpeg2 files with pulldown flag are not deinterlacing

For picture quality:

Direct To Plane Method:

- Visible banding and clipping (tested with Spears & Munsil test video)

EGL:

- No banding, but the clipping same as Direct To Plane

- 10 bit videos have no picture

Overall the SD upscaling is bad quality (same as Amlogic).

Thanks for your work!

The limited color range is necessary for the correct picture, because the movies are in limited color range in the disc too.

This is the explanation: Video levels and color space - Official Kodi Wiki

When there is such a big difference between the picture quality of 2 players, one is set incorrectly.

The Amlogic is always send out the picture in YCbCr limited.

My testing is using a 70 inch 1080P TV . Playing high bitrate Movie files via my home network and viewed at a distance of 4.5 metres.

Thats my real world testing. Identical Movie file using the same HDMI Port and same HDMI Cable with all the same settings in Kodi.

If Amlogic is behind with LEIA development , it may have something to do with it.

Right now Amlogic devices I've tested are not producing video quality on par with the Rock64.

Which color space do you use on Rockchip? YCbCr 4:2:2 or YCbCr 4:4:4 limited is the correct setting for movies.

A Screenshot is not going to show anything worth comparing in a .png

Be aware that i have no previous versions of Kodi eg Jarvis / Krypton that can run on LE for Rockchip so my comparison in video quality is all based on Rock64 Leia against S905 boxes with Krypton and Leia.

I've had a conversation with Ray the previous LE Leia developer who confirmed he notices the difference as well.

I strongly advise anyone wanting to try a Rockchip box to buy an SBC with uniform hardware and firmware that is being tested by developers.

You buy some cheap chinese Rockchip box and you can ignore my observations.

The screenshots from the identical movie frame or the raw hdmi capture are the only ways to compare the PQ objectively. There should be no difference. I think, you are using a wrong color space on the Rockchip device.

djnice , no logs no problem. TVH works really nice on le 9 from GDPR-2

This is my log:

Please provide a sample file. I think, these are 10 bit H.264 files.