Posts by racko

Hi all!

I've just installed LibreELEC 8.2.0.1 on Minix Neo U1 (Amlogic S905) and I have an issue regarding hi-res audio playback over optical digital (TOSlink) output.

My Minix Neo U1 is connected to an extarnal DAC with an optical digital cable, the DAC is showing the sample rate of the audio source.

The audio files (FLAC and WAV) at 16-bit/44.1KHz, 24-bit/88.2KHz and 24-bit/96KHz are outputted correctly, without resampling. The files at 24-bit/192KHz are not played, just silence - no sound at all - and the DAC doesn't display anything.

My DAC is capable to decode up to 24-bit/192KHz and, as far as I know, optical digital TOSlink is also capable to handle up to 24-bit/192KHz.

Does anyone have an idea why is this happening? It this software or hardware related?

Thank you!

For clarification, I am using PC hardware. I suppose some other devices might have restricted hardware and drivers that include sample rate conversion? I have no idea about that.

That's why you don't have any issues. :) As I said in my opening post, I was talking about LibreELEC running on Android TV boxes. As far as I know, Android OS is resampling everything at 16-bit/48KHz but LibreELEC for Android TV boxes is running on a different Linux based OS, not Android.

In meantime, I've bought a Minix Neo U1. Here are the results ...

Running Kodi Krypton (Google Play version) on Minix Android OS, 16-bit/44.1KHz audio files are upsampled to 16-bit/48KHz and all hi-res audio files are downsampled to 16-bit/48KHz over S/PDIF digital optical output (TOSLINK).

Running LibreELEC from SD card, all audio files - 16-bit/44.1KHz, 16-bit/48KHz, 24-bit/88.2KHz and 24-bit/96KHz - aren't resampled over S/PDIF digital optical output (TOSLINK).

The only problem is 24-bit/192KHz audio files aren't played, no sound at all over S/PDIF digital optical output. I don't know why, I don't know if it's hardware or software related. As far as I know TOSLINK is capable to output up to 24-bit/192KHz. I'm still looking to identify the problem ...

Hi all!

I've read this topic but I'm still a little bit confused so I want to kindly ask you to confirm (or not) :) ...

I have an external standalone DAC with digital optical and coaxial inputs (no USB input).

If I buy an Android TV Box with a hardware which supports LibreELEC installation (e.g. Minix Neo U1), it is possible to passthrough high resolution audio files over digital audio optical output?

Can the device, with LibreELEC, output bit-perfect 16-bit/44.1KHz, 24-bit/88.2KHz, 24-bit/96KHz and 24-bit/192KHz audio files (FLAC and WAV), without resampling the sample rate or changing bit depth?

LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.2.0 changelog says "Fix Kodi to support 352KHz and 384KHz audio over S/PDIF" but I assume this is for USB output, as digital optical is limited to 192KHz. It's unclear for me what is the situation when using digital optical output ...

Thank you!

I know the hardware supports hi-res audio over S/PDIF up to 24-bit/192KHz, which is enough for me. My question mark is about the software.

I have read an user report saying even the most recent Kodi version is upsampling FLAC 16-bit/44.1KHz > 16-bit/48KHz and downsampling 24-bit/96KHz > 16-bit/96KHz and 24-bit/192KHz > 16-bit/192KHz.

Kodi Forum: Hi-res audio playback

And I've also read somewhere that LibreELEC doesn't resample Hi-Res audio over S/PDIF but I'm not 100% sure about this, that's why I've asked here. This issue it's software related ...

In this topic someone was saying he managed to output (with LibreELEC) 44.1KHz up to 384KHz but using the USB output. I need to do this (up to 24-bit/192KHz) over digital optical output. And he doesn't mention anything about bit depth, so it's pretty unclear to me.

LibreELEC forum: [SOLVED] Audio output device - 192Khz to 384Khz sampling rates

LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.2.0 changelog says "Fix Kodi to support 352KHz and 384KHz audio over S/PDIF" but I assume this is for USB output, as digital optical is limited to 192KHz. It's unclear for me what is the situation when using digital optical (or coaxial) output ...

Changes since LibreELEC 8.0.2 include: LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.2.0 RELEASE – LibreELEC

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding LibreELEC, I have searched and read informations about this aspect but it's still unclear for me. I'm sorry if this subject was discussed in another topic, I didn't found it ...:|

If I buy an Android TV Box which supports LibreELEC installation, it is possible to passthrough high resolution audio files over digital audio (optical or coaxial) output? Can the device, with LibreELEC, output bit-perfect 16-bit/44.1KHz, 24-bit/88.2KHz, 24-bit/96KHz and 24-bit/192KHz audio files (FLAC and WAV), without resampling?

I have a pretty large hi-res audio library and it's very important for me to be sure this is possible as I have an external standalone DAC who handles the audio conversion.

Thank you!