Posts by renzz

renzz Correct. Echoing 5 will get you 792MHz for S905 and 742MHz for S905X. It might increase smoothness for very heavy skins, although I can see no difference on Estuary which is already running smooth here at standard speed (500MHz).

kszaq - on my box the current value for /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq is 500, not a single digit. Should I still change it to just 5 if I want to try the higher frequency?

For info, the contents of every file in /sys/class/mpgpu/ are

The only difference between the new/old device tree is that the new one allows running Mali at 792Mhz but only when you set the driver parameter.

How do you do that please?

I see in another thread you said

If you are running 8.0.0c you can try driving mali at a bit higher frequency:

• standard running frequency is 500MHz:
      Code
      echo 3 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq
    • you can bump the clock to 666MHz:
      Code
      echo 4 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq

So is it a case of

Code
    echo 5 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq

to get 792Mhz?

Anyone else having a problem with videos freezing in the last 3 sec of the video. Audio continues to play with frozen video. Its not crashing the box, and not a big deal, just curious if im the only one.
    This didnt happen on any of the 7.0.3.012 builds.
    Tronsmart S95x box.

Yes, I see this as well. As you say, not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

OP updated with 7.95.beta6 build. Full changelog coming soon, in the meanwhile you can browse GitHub for the changes.

Please report any regressions (previous and known issues are known!) vs 7.95.beta5b.

At last! Flawless playback of 23.976 material :) This is the first of all the releases where I haven't seen any frame skips - thanks for getting to the bottom of this kszaq.

However...I've tried passthrough audio on Live TV on beta6 and it doesn't work for me - my receiver still reports it's receiving PCM. I checked the audio options while tuned to a channel broadcasting DD 5.1 and the "Enable passthru" checkbox was enabled. Disabling it (and re-enabling it) made no difference. Not sure if there are any other settings anywhere that need changing but for me it doesn't work.

Debug log at GeFJ

I had the same problem with one of my TVs (Toshiba). The only workaround I found was to disable 24Hz frame rate switching.

Have to agree with this - I have several MXQ Pro boxes running either the Jarvis of Krypton builds and all suffer from occasional stutter when playing 23.976 H264 material - not a lot but enough to be annoying. It's been like this across all of kszaq's builds which makes me think there is an issue with either the amlogic kernel or drivers.

However, 25fps playback is silky smooth, and as I run my TV at 1080p/50hz, I have now enabled "sync playback to display" in Kodi to speedup 23.976 to 25fps and it plays without a single stutter. Sure, using this option does mean you can't use audio passthru anymore, and the audio is resampled, but I'm not an audiophile and can't hear the difference.

Maybe one day we will have silky-smooth playback at 23.976.

I have a question about playback of 23.276 H264 material (generally 1080p) - exactly how smooth should playback be on S905 boxes?

I have several MXQ Pro S905 boxes running either 7.0.3.12 or the 8.0 Beta, and the vast majority of stuff I play is H264 encoded. For the most part playback is smooth, but I do see the occasional stutter which I am quite sensitive to, and so tend to notice it more (this is on both 7.0.3.12 and 8.0). It doesn't seem to be anything to do with the way the material is encoded as if I notice a stutter and jump back and play the scene again, it will play smoothly. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it although subjectively it may happen more on fast action scenes, but that's not always the case. It may happen every few minutes or it may play fine for 20 minutes and then stutter - it's very hit and miss.

My main playback box is an Intel NUC and this is always silky-smooth on the same material so what I'm asking is SHOULD these boxes playback 23.976 H264 without stutter or am I expecting too much in comparing them to a NUC? I do playback occasional 25fps stuff and never see this problem. I know we are seeing patches applied all the time to fix playback but I've seen this issue ever since I bought these boxes last year and have been through all the releases that have been made.

What is everyone else's experience with this?

Turning CEC in Kodi settings won't turn off CEC completely as it is also operated by u-boot, which is independent of OS you have. When I get back home I will check whether CEC can be disabled completely at u-boot level by modifying u-boot variables (which you can do using commands over SSH).

kszaq - did you ever check if CEC can be disabled by modifying u-boot variables? I have problems with it preventing my AV receiver from switching sources. Thanks.

Works wonderfully here. After trying many different devices (Pivos, Raspberry PI 1+2, Zotac PI320, ...) this build in combination with a Nexbox a95x (s905x/2gb version) finally plays back all my content without dropping *any* frames and at correct framerates. It's great to finally have a working 23.976fps mode again.

Donated to your PayPal :)

So is that true - the S905X chip supports true 23.976 output?

Is this fixable on current S905 systems? I know it says on the first page that jerky 23.976 playback is an Amlogic hardware bug, but does that mean it isn't fixable at all?

Please read the instructions carefully. dtb.img from Android firmware on SD card won't work as it is different from what is needed to run the latest kernel. You have to download the device tree from my site, as linked in first post. If a device tree from you device is not listed, you can try using the closest-specced-box tree and submit a PR to my devices tree repo. Alternatively if you don't know how to modify a device tree, you can post Android device tree in a proper thread and wait for me to parse it - this has to be done by hand and takes some time.

For anyone else with a Sumvision Cyclone X4+, I've found the dtb called 'gxbb_p200_mxq_pro_4k.dtb ' works for this device - at least I can now boot and run Kodi, with ethernet, the usb ports and wifi working ok. I'd still like to try a processed dtb from my device though, once kszaq has done his stuff on it.

Kszaq, in the next build for S905, please could you include the file dvb-demod-mn88472-02.fw in /lib/firmware, which you can get from Index of /linux/v4l-dvb/firmware/MN88472/02/latest.

I hope this will enable me to use my Astrometa DVB-T/C USB stick (V1) - you already have the file dvb-demod-mn88473-01.fw which is for the V2 stick. I currently get the following when I plug it in:

[ 221.327521@2] usb 2-1: DVB: adapter 0 frontend 0 frequency 0 out of range (174000000..862000000)
    [ 221.870631@0] mn88472 1-0018: Direct firmware load failed with error -2
    [ 221.870643@0] mn88472 1-0018: Falling back to user helper
    [ 282.096026@2] mn88472 1-0018: firmware file 'dvb-demod-mn88472-02.fw' not found
    [ 282.213613@1] usb 2-1: DVB: adapter 0 frontend 1 frequency 0 out of range (42000000..1002000000)

Many thanks for all your work.

Please read the instructions carefully. dtb.img from Android firmware on SD card won't work as it is different from what is needed to run the latest kernel. You have to download the device tree from my site, as linked in first post. If a device tree from you device is not listed, you can try using the closest-specced-box tree and submit a PR to my devices tree repo. Alternatively if you don't know how to modify a device tree, you can post Android device tree in a proper thread and wait for me to parse it - this has to be done by hand and takes some time.

Thanks kszaq, I wasn't aware that the dtb had to be parsed, despite having read all these threads . I've now posted the dtb for the Sumvision to the Device Tree thread on this board (not sure how to do pull requests) - please can you do whatever's necessary to process it (or if you can point me at some instructions, I can have a go at it if it takes some time). In the meantime I'll try some of the existing dtb's - would anyone have any idea what may be the closest to the Sumvision? The main board for this device has 'MBOX MINI PLUS-905-V02 2015-11-21" stamped on it.

Thanks again.

Can't get this to work on my Sumvision Cyclone X4+, which has been running V5 ok from SD. I followed the instructions, putting the img.gz file into the udate directory and rebooting. I could then see the usual updated messages, and it said it was rebooting - and never came back. I have "no signal" on the monitor it's connected to. Tried powering off/on but still the same. So I carried on and extracted the dtb.img from the latest android firmware and put it on the SD. I held the toothpick in and powered on - but the same. Absolutely nothing on the monitor (no signal).

I then tried a new install of V6 on a different SD card (and also tried on a USB stick) with the extracted dtb.img copied on - but still the same when trying a toothpick recovery boot - no signal on the monitor.

Not sure what else to try next.

What format is your SD card? It needs to be FAT32.