Posts by Adr3nal1n

I have Libreelec running on a Pi4 with a DVB hat fitted. I enabled TV headend and from my desktop PC the channels are working fine.

On the actual Pi I can see all the channels and the video is fine but the sound is out of sync. Any ideas please?

PS thanks for all the great work on this :)

I believe you need to apply this fix from Popcornmix:

For the stuttering reports there is a fix. Either wait for the next LE update or grab firmware from here:

start4.elf?raw=true

fixup4.dat?raw=true

rename and replace http://start.elf/fixup.dat on the FAT partition of sdcard.

For further comparison, here are some other Libreelec client devices (except for the s905x running CoreIec) I have in the same room and their idle temps:

Amlogic s905x unbranded chinese import in sealed case (running Coreelec 9.0.3): 46c

Rpi2 in pibow coupe case with passive heatsink: 46.5c

Rpi3B in pibow coupe case with passive heatsink: 47c

Rock64 in Canakit RPi2 case with some of the port holes modified so that the Rock64 board fits: 59c

Hi Milhouse,

Rpi4 is still idling at 70c+

I have uploaded the log files from Libreelec here: http://ix.io/1mut

Hope this feedback helps.

Some further feedback on idle temps,

RPI4 2GB idling in official case: 70c (room temp 20c)

RPI4 2GB idling with top half of official case removed: 61c (room temp 20c)

RPI4 2GB idling with top half of official case removed and new firmware applied: 58c (room temp 20c)

I installed the new firmware from here: Raspberry Pi 4 temperature - Page 4 - Raspberry Pi Forums

Going forwards, I plan to remove the official case and instead use a Pibow Coupe case with passive heatsink installed. Ninja Pibow Coupé 4 (Raspberry Pi 4 only) – Pimoroni

There are many reports on various forums of Pi4s idling at 70C. Very worrying.

Equally of course there are many people saying their Pi4 is fine and idles at 50C.

Perhaps we are seeing early software/firmware problems. Or perhaps some percentage of hardware is defective.

Combined with the bad USB-C implementation, I think best approach is to wait and see. Don't rush to buy yet.

The new official case seems to be a step backwards, just two piece and thus no removable panels. At least with old case you could take top panel out to allow for better cooling while still keeping the board somewhat enclosed/protected.

I have the official case on my rpi4 2GB. I run it with the top part removed and it drops the idle temp by 5c. The board is still protected by the bottom half of the case.

Hopefully the devs can identify the cause of the high idle temp issue and fix it through a firmware update.

For the stuttering reports there is a fix. Either wait for the next LE update or grab firmware from here:

start4.elf?raw=true

fixup4.dat?raw=true

rename and replace http://start.elf/fixup.dat on the FAT partition of sdcard.

Thank you so much Popcornmix, this fixes the issues I was having with frame skipping/stuttering during 24p/24Hz/23.976 (whatever you want to call it) playback on 720p/1080p x264 and HEVC content. Playback is now smooth at all times including scenes of camera panning. (I don't have a 4K TV so cannot verify 4K playback)

Thanks again! :)

Hi Milhouse,

I don't have a 4K TV.

I have a 6 year old Samsung 1080p TV. So I have not altered config.txt at all.

The only non-standard element of my setup, is that my kodi database is stored on a central mariadb server.

I can't post a log file at the moment as I am not at home.

Hi Milhouse,

Rpi4 is still idling at 70c+

I have uploaded the log files from Libreelec here: http://ix.io/1mut

Are you using hdmi_enable_4k=1 in config.txt? This enables 4Kp60 but (currently) increases clocks/voltages which leads to higher temperatures.

Hopefully the next LibreELEC 9.2 alpha update (9.1.002) will have the updated firmware and thus lower temperatures with hdmi_enable_4k=1.

Have you limited your GUI size to 1080p as this will give better performance (and thus potentially lower idle temperatures) than running the Kodi GUI at 4Kp30 or 4Kp60 (Settings > System > Display > Limit GUI Size - needs settings level set to "Expert").

Can you upload your kodi.log from the RPi4 using the "upload kodi log" option in the LibreELEC Settings addon and post the link?

Hi Milhouse,

I don't have a 4K TV.

I have a 6 year old Samsung 1080p TV. So I have not altered config.txt at all.

The only non-standard element of my setup, is that my kodi database is stored on a central mariadb server.

I can't post a log file at the moment as I am not at home.

Also have an issue with video playback on Rpi4 with 2GB RAM. Clean build, stock skin, no add-ons other than default.

I can play H264 and HEVC content of various types, however, I only get smooth playback if I only allow it to play at 60HZ, if I allow kodi to switch the TV to 24p I get visible frame skipping and judder during scene panning.

I have tried with and without whitelist and the issues persists.

I have a 6 year old Samsung 1080p TV and have tried various other devices (Raspberry PIs, Rock64, Amlogic S905x) running kodi leia and 23.976 content playback is smooth.

While idle at the Kodi "Home" menu (presumably you are using the stock Estuary skin?), can you run the following command in ssh (make the ssh window quite wide/high - at least 186 columns, and 40+ lines):

Code
    bcmstat.sh -ZCxpyd1

Leave it running for a short while (20-30 seconds) then take a printscreen of the ssh window and upload it to imgur.com (then post the link). With this we can see if something is hammering on the CPU core(s) and driving up the temperature abnormally. Thanks.

Hi Milhouse,

Everything is stock, including skin, I don't use any add-ons other than those already installed in Libreelec.

Here are the results of the test at idle: https://imgur.com/a/8xfplsm

Thanks for all your work and support on this and all other rpi builds.

Same issue here. I have a 2GB RPi4 with official case, PSU and HDMI cable. Clean install, room temperature is 20c and the Rpi4 idles at 70c and goes up to 75c during video playback.

I'm not sure about the high temperature, this is an uncased 4GB RPi4 (no heatsink) with 9.1.001 while idle at the Home menu for 7 hours:

2nTO5bx.png

Have you installed any add-ons? Is this a clean installation or upgrade from RPi3 - try a "clean" /storage/.kodi without any third party add-ons and see if you still have issues (maybe an add-on has gone nuts and is spinning on the CPU).

Does the GUI look washed out or is it just videos? Presumably the washed out videos are HDR videos? As previously stated, there is currently no HDR support until this is baked into the Linux kernel, probably 5.2 or 5.3 so I'd expect the HDR metadata to be ignored. Can you upload a small sample video (or link to a sample video) that demonstrates the problem?

Hi,

Just to share my recent experience with LE 8.90.006 on Rock64,

I have been using XBMC/Kodi since the days of the original xbox, across multiple platforms over the years.

I have a central Linux file server, serving files via NFS, it also hosts a Mariadb MYSQL server to allow multiple kodi clients around the house to share the same database.

I installed LE 8.90.006 on my 1GB RAM Rock64 last night and tested playback of multiple file formats for around 3 hours. I found no significant issues with playback of SD, HD or UHD content from NFS file shares over Fast ethernet (100Mbps). HDMI CEC works well with my Samsung TV and I uploaded my remote.xml file from one of my other kodi clients so I could use some of the other buttons on my Samsung TV remote. Again all working well.

Considering this is an Alpha distribution of a Kodi Beta, I think it's great!

Thanks ever so much for developing a distribution of LE for the Rock64.

Purely out of interest, what is the benefit of using a “Le Potato” board over any other S905X based device? (I can imagine a static hardware platform is more appealing to LE devs, similar to the rpi in the sense it is a known quantity.)

Is the LE build for it able to run a mainline kernel? I have seen websites advertising the board as capable of using the 4.9 LTS kernel and others stating mainline 4.13. Is this true or just wishful thinking/bold marketing?

Thanks very much.

Hi,

Have just upgraded my s905x to 8.2.1.1 and found the following at the bottom of the kodi log on first boot...

Is something broken?

Thanks ever so much.

Code
    18:45:26.712 T:3892310944   ERROR: ## LibreELEC Addon ## oe::load_url(https://sx05.eu/releases/releases.json) ## ERROR: (HTTPError())
    18:45:26.713 T:3892310944   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                  File "/home/kszaq/ocz/le-master/build.LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-devel/LibreELEC-settings-12c5f24/.install_pkg/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.libreelec.settings/oe.py", line 271, in load_url
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 154, in urlopen
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 435, in open
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 548, in http_response
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 473, in error
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 407, in _call_chain
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 556, in http_error_default
                                                HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Klojum

Oh yeah, I use my Intel pc dual-core haswell pentium cpu with h264_vaapi and that yields over 500fps when encoding. No hevc_vaapi on Haswell unfortunately. :)

I was just curious to see what I could get out of the s905x SOC, but as you say, without a means to invoke gpu encoding it was always going to be slow.

This article here Amlogic S905X Specifications | NEXBOX TV Box suggests the s905x can do hardware encoding of h.264 "H.264 video encoding up to 1080P@60fps with low latency". Although I guess there is no way currently of utilising that through ffmpeg.

Still, I am very impressed with the playback capabilities of the s905x and the work that the kszaq and the Libreelec community have been doing to provide such a great linux/kodi distro for it.