Posts by dipswitch

I gave up on 32bit efi. I began with the spo comm device (as mentioned in my other thread), which resulted in nothing. After that, i discovered that an Pipo x7 which i purchased also only could boot from 32bit efi. This gave me the same problems (there is a beta cherry trail build, but nothing official). The pipo x7 also has the nice feature of overheating and becoming totaly unusuable after some "wrong" bios settings (no clear cmos available, piece of cr*p).

Now i'm running LE on "normal" machines with bios or 64bit efi support, no more weird hardware that only costs money and, in the end, doesnt work.

For anyone who's reading this, if you want to avoid a lot of headaches and frustration, avoid all the cheap "quadcore" boxes as sold with intel cherry trail cpu's, or other devices that have this 32it efi limitation. this included the intel compute stick, Pipo X7 (x7s) , basically everything "to good to be true" (from aliexpress, ebay, dealextreme, etc).

If you want a cheap device with proper LE support, look at the supported hardware list, or if you just want to buy something guaranteed to work (and is cheap), buy a raspberry :D

In the perfect world, you want 1:1 pixel mapping. This means that each pixel outputted from the source is displayed on the screen without being remapped or altered in any way. What appears to be your problem is something called "overscan". This is a relic from ancient time, still present in a lot of tv's these days. it does, as the name suggests, overscan the image and chops of the edges. In the past (thirty years ago :) ) , this was done to lose crap which was transmitted along with frames, such as tv text among others, and distortion in the analog broadcast.

What you want to do is search in the settings of your tv, for a setting which disables the overscan function. Recalibrating the screen in kodi is something you want to avoid. With this option, you'll still have the tv overscanning each frame, and then kodi displays it's image in a cropped fashion. You'll effectively lose resolution and add distortion.

I completely agree with Poida, its definitely not unreadable.

You really cant expect people to read 156 pages??
    [hr]

I had this issue with 2 boxes before, and in both cases running installtointernal twice did nothing.
    Flashing another older generic MXQ Pro android firmware solved it on one box (install other Android, boot from SD/USB, installtointernal), but the other one just flat out refuses to run from internal.
    (first one was generic no-brand MXQ PRO 4k, the one with issues is an Acemax MXQ PRO 4k)

Are you able to send me your generic mxq pro firmware which did the job for you?

With 156 pages , this thread becomes unreadable.

I have the MXQ PRo 1gb s905. Everything works fine running LE from usb. Even the installtointernal gives no errors. Only problem when i installtointernal and reboot, the screen stays black, nothing happens. When in insert the usb stick + toothpick it runs LE again. I can also reflash to android with amlogic tool. So only running (booting) from internal doesnt seem to work. Any advice?

I found out that, when the remote isnt working anymore after a update, you need to copy te remote.conf file to the configfiles smb share on the device. This is when LE is installed to internal storage. I immediately believe this is common practice but, maybe it can be mentioned in the first post, in order for people not having to search/experiment with this. Just my two cents..

As some forum members probably already noticed, i'm trying to get an industrial minipc to work with LE.

One of the things that keep intervening with good operation of the device, is the lack of support for 32bit efi systems.

Short explanation: EFI is the successor for the old bios based system. This is the first code being loaded once a computer is powered on. EFI (extensible firmware interface) comes in to flavours: 32 and 64bit. Keep in mind: this has nothing to do with the microarchitecture of the computers processor.

Now comes the weird part: there are computers being sold that have modern 64bit (multicore) cpu's, but are fitted with a 32bit efi. This means often that one can't boot 64bit operating systems, even when the cpu supports this. Sometimes this goes in hand with a max memory limitation of, for example, 2gb memory.

For this reason: Microsoft windows 10 comes in multiple bootable versions: both 32 and 64bit for legacy bios systems, and 32 and 64bit for efi systems. So this means that, for a windows system, a pc with 32bit efi can be used to run win10 (probably other versions too).

The problem is that lots of linux distributions, this includes LE, come with only an 64bit efi boot option. The 32bit efi files are not included This means that if you have a 32bit efi, and no option to boot in legacy (CSM/bios) mode, you can't boot LE and therefore arent able to install it.

For my particular case, i've tested a few distro's. None of them came with the necessary 32bit efi boot files.

I've found this article: 32-Bit UEFI Boot Support - Ask Ubuntu

I then copied the bootia32.efi file to the efi folder on the memstick which i had ubuntu on, and it immediately booted fine (64bit ubuntu with 32bit efi boot, nice :) )

I was hoping the same trick would work for LE, but unfortunately it didn't. So up to this date no 32bit efi booting for LE.

Maybe the developers can find a way to included 32bit efi booting capabilitys for LE?

I found other threads on the forum from people asking for this feature, even developers telling they didn't succeed in making it work. Maybe progress has been made on this matter?

From the logs you've give us it looks like the correct drivers are loaded, Xorg is running, something is being output. If the result is still a black screen I have to guess it's an issue with connectors/cables or something funky about the TV itself. If I had local access to the box to experiment I could test a bit more, but remotely.. I'm out of sensible suggestions. Have you tested with it on a different TV?

I did some more testing, only to conclude that this really is a LE problem. I was able to boot Ubuntu (64bit) , once it booted i gave me no problems whatsoever. I got an instant 1080p60 output over hdmi.

Next up was Knoppix. This also gave me no problems, again 1080p60 over hdmi perfectly. Keep in mind: this all was done with exactly the same hdmi cable and display. The LE problems keep occuring on both a fullhd computer display and my television (panasonic 42" fullhd over hdmi).

What is weird is that LE , once the LE bootlogo disappears and the GUI should appear, it does output a 1080p60 signal over hdmi, but just gives a blank screen. Also the text terminal only displays a blinking cursor, again perfectly in 1080p60.

See attached screenshots for more info.

I was thinking, could it be something else that keeps X from showing the gui? Since everything is working and i've got a 1080p output over hmdi, could it be some hardware component stalling the system?

I just discovered a strange problem: after upgrading to 8.0.1a my mxiii-1gb only can be controlled with the televisions remote through cec . Both my mce remote and the box's own remote don't work anymore. The red light of the mce remote does flicker when keys are pressed, but the box doesnt respond. Can this be fixed?

jTAXtwo things:

a) cp /etc/x11/xorg-nvidia.conf /storage/.config/xorg.conf .. then edit the file so modedebug is "true" and reboot, then "cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | paste" again so we can see debug output. There is a single GPU detected, but maybe something is wonky.

b) wget 96-nvidia.rules -O /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/96-nvdia.rules .. then reboot and see if the card prefers the older 340.xx driver instead of the 357.xx one.

jTAX

After the last command, for the old drivers, the result is the same. A blank screen, it does have a output, just nothing in it .

I've added some pics of the device. As you can see theres almost nothing to config in the bios.