Posts by wrxtasy

There is likely a Kodi GUI settings conflict happening if you upgraded from the S912 subtitles fix release OR your device is overheating when GPU overclocking.

The Kodi GUI settings can be hard reset by, SSH logging in and:

Code
    systemctl stop kodi
    mv .kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml .kodi/userdata/guisettings.xml.bak
    systemctl start kodi

The fix-lost-audio-v2 is the current S912 LE release found in this test folder:

(S912) Kodi Krypton-AML

i series Intel CPU's will be better than AMLogic when it comes to video that needs to be Software decoded like the previously mentioned 1080p Anime (that has no hardware decode support on any platform). Intel devices will also be faster if they include high spec dual channel RAM and SSD storage. They will be better if you have a gigantic LE Kodi library, simply due to the SSD and higher CPU clock speed.

Intel GPU's will also be a bit quicker when drawing the Kodi user interface.

AMLogic devices run a bit slower vs Intel. They are low powered ARM mobile chipset based.

BUT currently when running LibreELEC Kodi (on S905X S905D S912) they have better Hardware video decode support especially once you start talking about 4K HDR which Intel LibreELEC Kodi currently misses out on.

The S912 series of devices are pretty quick when LibreELEC Kodi grabs data from faster internal eMMC storage. You can also Overclock the GPU and if you use a Wireless remote it's a pretty snappy LE Kodi combo.

As I did the tests on a 1080p TV, I detected that the 4K videos played in 1080p there is no autoswitch of the refresh rate of the television. Do you think it is possible to adjust it?

It's probable that your 1080p TV simply does not have the required refresh rates or resolutions to auto switch into.

You can try to manually switch whatever refresh rates are available in Kodi Settings > System > Display

And finally a doubt. I use HDMI-CEC for navigation in Kodi. I have seen that if I turn off the TV, the minix is turned off but if I turn it on later, minix will not turn on and if turn on manually, there is a black screen. Is there any way to do it without using the minix command?

Play around with Kodi Settings > System > Input > Peripherals > CEC adapter

Your TV will not turn on the MINIX, you have to shut down the U9 which then shuts down the TV. And turn on the U9 which then turns on the TV (maybe).

None of this is guaranteed to work because HDMI-CEC control is not a closely adhered to standard.

There is no way to video hardware decode the "scene" video compression used with Anime releases. You have to use CPU software decoding. Only the S912's have enough raw CPU power to do that on AMLogic hardware.

If you already have a S912 try disabling Kodi's dirty Regions thru an advancedsettings.xml file:

HOW-TO:Modify dirty regions - Official Kodi Wiki

And play some Anime.

You are still very likely to need to mod and cool any cheap S912 box when software decoding 1080p Anime for extended periods. It will be the most demanding thing you can do on a S912 box.

So just to be clear. This eMMC (with the included microSD adapter) paired with this Card reader is all I need for flashing the image, correct?
    I'm sorry if being a little slow about this, but I have zero experience with eMMC.

Aaaah sorry!

Yes you are correct that eMMC module includes the required adapter.

Your original list has everything you need.

I personally use a cheaper microSDHC > SD adapter that comes packaged some microSDHC cards these days instead of that Transcend TS-RDF5 K card reader.

Hi.

I'm thinking of buying an Odroid C2 as replacement for my Raspberry Pi 3/LibreELEC and I wanted to ask you fine people a couple of questions before I go ahead.

• Will the OSMC remote work just as well as it currently does with the RPi3/LibreELEC?
    • Is Liymo.com a good place to buy the board + accessories, or is there somewhere better? I'm based in Denmark.
    • Is the eMMC 16 GB module enough for a pretty extensive library?
    • My total list of items is: C2, PSU, eMMC, Case. And for LE image installation I had the Transcend TS-RDF5 K in mind.
      Did I miss anything? Any suggestions you guys might have?

Thanks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

16GB should be enough unless you have a massively monster Audio and Video collection.

You need the eMMC > microSDHC HardKernel adapter to attach the eMMC module to.

That combo then has to be slotted into a microSDHC > SD card adapter for flashing with a PC or Mac.

The OSMC remote will be Plug n Play compatible with LE devices.

I have LE Krypton image that can Sleep and Wake the C2 reliably when running LE too if using a USB dongle type remote.

You do not need a lot of RAM for LibreELEC.

For 1080p Anime tho you will need a S912 because none of the other AMLogic chipsets have the CPU ponies to software decode that combo.

Then you have to deal with thermal heat control because you are really going to be pushing the CPU's hard so the S912 you choose better have a good heat sink or it will very likely overheat with extended 1080p Anime usage.

You could always do some DIY and change heat sinks or add a USB fan.

so it doesnt make any real difference if we enable 444 10Bit option under "Amlogic Settings"?

If so, then it rly makes little sense to enable it.

You will not get 10bit color depth picture output if you do not enable any of the 444,10bit or 420,10bit options.

End result = color banding from 10bit video sources like 4K HDR Blurays.

I also wouldnt recommend enabling GPU overclocking. My Minix U9 with an external 2.5" HDD sitting on top of it, gets quite warm, not far away from "hot" esp. with summer temperatures.

This makes no sense.

What actually is "quite warm" ?

Is the device crashing, is there a burning smell ?

Heat rises.

If you put another heat generating device on top of any media player, especially one that is Overclocked then expect the bottom one to always heat up more than normal.

As I said. I rarely seen 55 Degrees C with the U9 - even when Overclocked and thrashed and guess what I have good ventilation and do not prevent heat rising from the device.

Apple ARM Tech is more advanced than any other I know of on the market currently, using a 10nm FinFET process for the Apple TV 4K.

Even then they still use a really neat cooling fan so the CPU's can be clocked at 2.39GHz

Another .tar test update this time testing 2160p 420,10bit video output.

The main aim of this release is to use 420,10bit for all 2160p video modes if...

Kodi Settings > System > AMLogic > Enable autoswitching Chroma & Bit Depth is > ON

The Kodi GUI should be left at a 1080p 50 or 60Hz Resolution so all 1080p picture output (inc. Kodi's GUI) is upscaled by a 4K TV using it's superior picture upscaling hardware.

4K HDR Sony owners have been complaining about 444,10bit and having to put their TV's into a 'PC' mode to use such settings and then losing a bunch of video processing modes in the process.

We do not need to use the PC or Gaming - subsampling mode of 444 for Kodi video playback usage.

4K HDR Blurays are encoded with 420,10bit subsampling and bit depths anyway.

LibreELEC-S912.arm-8.2.4.2-test-420_10bit.tar

There is a bunch of info about Chroma Subsampling here:

Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0

As for Freezing - not all AMLogic boxes are created equal, the MINIX U9 I use for testing very rarely get over 55 Degrees C.

Disable GPU Overclocking would be my very first suggestion and the second would be do some DIY Chipset cooling mods.

Pretty correct.

If the ZTE box is a Google Certified Device running Android TV OS, which then also includes proper Chromecasting capabilities. It is very likely the device will have to have a locked bootloader to get Google certified in the very first place.

Same issue the Android TV - S9xx boxes - Xiaomi Mi Box and the Vodafone TV (Australia) have.

Because of that locked bootloader you cannot get LibreELEC to even startup and install.

You can test out if a device has a locked Bootloader by trying to Root it. And to do that you flash the Magisk.zip from a USB stick using Android Recovery:

[2018.4.29] Magisk v16.0 - Root & Universal Systemless Interface [Android 5.0+]

And on behalf of AMLogic S912 users we thank you for your lobbying efforts to get Mali-T820 GPU Linux Libs.

Maybe you should make a sticky in this Subforum detailing your AMLogic (insider) info above and then users can make up their own minds about which S9xx Hardware to purchase if they are concerned about long term support.

Even if LE S912's only last till Kodi v19, for a device like the - USD$55 Tanix TX92 (S912) it's still great value for a quick - HD audio and 4K HDR capable media player.

At those prices those types of AML S9xx boxes are throwaway items.

And by Kodi v19 release time (maybe 1 --> 1.5 years) - HDMI 2.1 will also very likely be a known standard, so we go around again on the upgrade TV / AVR / media player Hardware merry go round ;)

The S905 D/X boxes are going to seem pretty slow by the time we get to the future with all manner of 4K HDR hardware choices then likely being compatible with Kodi v19. We may not even favour AMLogic hardware by then. 8|

Ultimately it's up to each individual how often they upgrade Kodi hardware and what their actual need are.

No matter what I do, switch docking station or HD it will not pick up certain HD's.
    What can I do?

How are these "docking stations" powered ?

What I'm asking is are you drawing USB power for the HDD's from the MINIX U9 ?

It's really common to have HDD problems when powering 2.5" HDD's from ARM based Chipset media players.

All it takes is a marginal power supply to the media player and you will have issues.

That begs the question, what's the difference between S905D2/X2 and S922!

Mbox - Amlogic openlinux

HDMI 2.1 support will be a big difference if it makes it into those two chipsets, but then new displays & audio equiptment will also need to be purchased as well.

I'm not sure what "AVS2-P2" is, it could be hardware decode support of the upcoming AV1 video compression format.

AMLogic are part of the Alliance for Open Media, who are developing the new Open Sourced AV1 video compression format.

None of the RPi's are HDMI 2.0, 4K capable.

4K these days is virtually all compressed HEVC video. (4K Youtube is VP9 encoded)

RPi's cannot hardware decode HEVC compressed video, but use a hybrid CPU/GPU assisted method of decoding HEVC.

What that all means is when you start throwing high bitrate HEVC at RPi's they either:

a) heat up and crash if you have inadequate chipset cooling and power supplies.

b) simple fall over when the bitrate increases, especially with 10bit HEVC content. 4K HEVC decoding will not work at all.

If you need 1080p 3D then at the budget end of the market get a RPi 3B+

In comparative terms the RPi's are using pretty ancient GPU hardware.

But for full hardware decoding of virtually anything you throw at it - any 4K capable HDMI 2.0 - S9xxx box will be superior.

Especially ones with integrated Wireless remotes.