Posts by ehoitinga

I'm asking, because I have seen the same (more HDMI ports) on a different (newer) Linux kernel on my NUC6CAYH.

The strange thing is that these two 'ghost' HDMI port cannot be found as a device in the out put of alsa-info.sh but are listed in the output of aplay -l.

Internally it's connected to DisplayPort -> LSPCON -> HDMI.

OK. That's why I see Displayport #0 listed as available audio devices. The strange thing is that sometimes, and quite randomly, it is listed as Displayport # and sometimes as HDMI #0.

I have no HDMI switch connected, and still see 3 HDMI devices, without the patch. I will look into it more after upgrading to 8.2. Of course you can disconnect the switch to find out, but I highly doubt it's the switch. Your alsa-info.txt only lists 3 HDMI/DP ports. As a test: try booting with 'options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1', and there should be no HDMI.

This was just a wild guess. I rebooted with the matrix disconnected and the bogus HDMI port still pop up.

As weird as it sounds, I have have an 2013 Panasonic TV with an 1.4 HDMI port and could perform the LSPCON update to FW 1.66. Booted from a Windows 10 USB HDD.

I use "Windows to Go" to create a bootable USB 3.0 external disk to update the HDMI firmware. Windows is updating right now to have the latest drivers. Now I know again why I ditched Windoze years ago. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to update. When it's updated I try the HDMI update. Will get back with the results.

"Number of channels: 2.0"

Do you think that might be part of the problem? Try setting the number of channels to 5.1.

Also make sure Settings > Player > Video > Sync playback to display is OFF if you want passthrough to work.

OK. To describe the AC3/Passthrough problems more precisely I use these three movies as a test.

I did a fresh install of version 8.1.2 with exactly the same configuration as before. The movie Ice Age The Great Egg-Scapade gives always sound. The other sometimes give sound immediately or after 1 or 3 minutes or longer or not at all. I can't see a logic. When I have sound my Sonos app sees the audio signal of these three movies as Dolby Digital 5.1.

I tried different versions of LibreElec (8.01, 8.02, 8.1.1, 8.1.2 and milhouse stable 8.2) and the symptoms above are the same with every version. I though suspect my HDMI matrix of dying. Today when I switched from the mediacenter to my STB I had no image. I had to reset my HDMI matrix to get image. Resetting my HDMI matrix in case of the above audio problems did not give any result. Symptoms stay the same.

I ordered a new HDMI matrix which support all the new video and audio formats. I expect yo receive it end of this week or Monday. I'll keep you posted if this change anything.

Erik

HDMI 0 = 0x05, HDMI 1 = 0x06, HDMI 2 = 0x07. Don't know where HDMI 3 and 4 are coming from. Are you running LibreELEC beta?

At the time of writing I was on a stable 8.2.0 milhouse build. Now I'm back to the latest 8.1.2 version. But no matter which version I install the four HDMI ports have always been there. They have been there since I bought the NUC and installed 8.0.1 on it which was the latest version at that time.

This NUC has one physical HDMI port and one physical Thunderbolt 3 port (supporting USB 3.1 gen 2, Displayport 1.2, 40 GB/s Thunderbolt). Like you I understand that I have "2" HDMI ports, where 3 and 4 came from I don't know. Than again that does not explain why my audio output device says Displayport #0 while the NUC is physically connected with HDMI to my HDMI switch.

Uhm, now that I am talking about this. Couldn't it be that HDMI0/Displayport0 is my physical HDMI port and HDMI1 - HDMI4 are the 4 HDMI ports on my switch? Maybe I'm saying something stupid, but it is just a brainwave :-). By the way CEC is switched off in my BIOS.

Don't forget to create a '/storage/.config/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf' file and check correct loading in dmesg. Look for the snd_hd_intel 'Applying patch firmware...' line. It will definitely not remove HDMI 3 and 4. I will have to look into that.

Ok. I created the two files and put them into place and rebooted. But HDMI 3 & 4 have disappeared and not 1 & 2. Or in some way 1 & 2 are deleted and the "old" 3 & 4 have shifted to 1 & 2.

One remark though. I did not have the possibility to install the 1.66 HDMI firmware update as stated here. I still have to find a HDMI2.0 capable monitor to do this update.

Erik

"Number of channels: 2.0"

Do you think that might be part of the problem? Try setting the number of channels to 5.1.

Also make sure Settings > Player > Video > Sync playback to display is OFF if you want passthrough to work.

"Number of channels: 2.0": I left this setting at the default because the description of this setting says "This setting does not apply to pass-through audio". I tried setting this to 5.1 but it did not change anything.

"Settings > Player > Video > Sync playback to display is OFF". This setting is OFF. I left it to the default.

However, while tinkering with the settings I was looking at the setting "Enable Dolby Digital (AC3) transcoding.". I am a bit in doubt enabling or disabling this setting. My input signals are HDMI. The audio output is SP/DIF Toslink (to Sonos playbar) and the video output is HDMI which goes to the TV. The first phrase of the description says enable this setting and the second phrase say disable it.

What does this setting do exactly? I noticed that when selecting 5.1 at number of channels, this option disappears. So this option convert 2.0 in 5.1 for output by SP/DIF when pass-through is off if I understood well.

I also noticed that the audio device ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, MEI Panasonic-TV on XXX changes sometimes and seemingly random from

"ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, MEI Panasonic-TV" on "Displayport #0" to "ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, MEI Panasonic-TV on HDMI #0".

My NUC is HDMI 2.0 and the rest of the devices are HDMI 1.4a. I suppose the NUC falls back to 1.4a?

Thanks you for the suggestions,

Erik

alsa-info.sh will create a file 'alsa-info.txt.[random]' in '/tmp'. You can ignore the errors.

OK. Here is my alsa-info.txt.XXXXJqmqKz. I found the Vendor-ID, the Subsystem-ID and the address:

Code
    Codec: Intel Kabylake HDMI          
    Address: 2                  
    AFG Function Id: 0x1 (unsol 0)
    Vendor Id: 0x8086280b
    Subsystem Id: 0x80860101        
    Revision Id: 0x100000
    No Modem Function Group found

Sorry for possible stupid questions, I'm not so familiar with all this. Then after that in the [pincfg] section. I found the pincfg of my audio devices. It should be 0x411111f0. The HEX number before the pincfg is the node number of the device to hide I presume?

When I run aplay -l I see these devices. HDMI0 / Displayport0 is my active output device.

So if I want to eliminate listing of HDMI1 to HDMI4 the [pincf] section should look like this. Is this correct?

Code
    [codec]
    0x8086280b 0x80860101 2

[pincfg]
    0x07 0x411111f0
    0x08 0x411111f0
    0x09 0x411111f0
    0x0a 0x411111f0

Thank you,

Erik

Is this just a cosmetic issue or does it change something about the pass-through problems. What about the pincfg. What is the pincfg stuff and where can I find it for the NUC7I5BNK?

I tried to run the alsa-info.sh script but it gives me errors:

Hi Again,

There is something that came to my mind. Can it be my Ligawo HDMI matrix (see my network topology below) that is buggy? Lately I had some problems with the image disappearing on my TV. I had to reset the Ligawo to get the image back on my TV.

I have no other means of connecting my devices 'cause Sonos playbar has only Toslink input and my NUC has no Toslink output. It is also possible to connect the NUC and the STB via HDMI to the TV and get the sound back from the TV to the Sonos playbar with Toslink. This is the common solution Sonos advises.

But... Very, very few TV's do pass-through from HDMI to Toslink, at least my TV does not. With this solution I'm stuck with stereo sound which is a no go.

I'll try to find another HDMI matrix and see if this is the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Erik

I really have no idea what's going on here. I don't know if it's part of the Intel pass-through problems or not. What I do know is that I did not have these problems in 8.0.2.

OK. I got back to version 8.02 using the update function in LibreElec. The same problems as described earlier. I really don't know anymore. It wasn't the BIOS update (bios51.bin bios52.bin) because I also had the same problems using the BIOS version bios46.bin.

I'll try the the Fritsch mod. If this doesn't I will really considering ditching the NUC and look for some hardware that works. :(

Erik

It is getting stranger. When I play a movie which contains one AC3 5.1 stream I have sound in Dolby Digital 5.1 format. When I have a movie with two or more AC3 streams, for example AC3 2.0 en 5.1 then I have sound on the 2.0 stream (stereo) but not on the 5.1 stream. The 5.1 stream only gives sound when I switch off pass-through for this stream. The incoming signal on my Sonos playbar however is then again in stereo and not Dolby Digital 5.1.

OK. Did some further testing. I stumbled upon a movie with just one AC3 stream in it and it won't play until I switch off pass-through. So the above is no longer true. As expected the stream plays in stereo in stead of the expected Dolby Digital 5.1.

I really have no idea what's going on here. I don't know if it's part of the Intel pass-through problems or not. What I do know is that I did not have these problems in 8.0.2.

I will try to get back to 8.0.2 official and will also try the Fritsch mod.

Keep you posted.

Erik

Hi there,

It’s been a while that I was here. A few BIOS (version 0051 is the latest now) updates and LibreElec versions later I still have two major problems with audio pass-through. The wireless problem is less important because I use I cable to connect my mediacenter and the problem is only a one-time problem. The problems with audio pass-trough however are more serious and are there since version 8.0.1.

I fiddled a lot with my installation and since 8.0.1 I had some updates installed until version 8.1.1. Also some firmware tweaks resided on the system that are no longer necessary in version 8.1.1. So I started with a fresh install of LibreElec version 8.1.1.

1. Wireless related crash after fresh install.

After a fresh installation Kodi crashes when I click for the first time on the detected wireless network in LibreElec → Connections. When I go to 'LibreElec → Connections' after the crash & restart and I click on the detected wireless network the menu with the ‘connect’ option appears. When I enter the wireless key everything works as expected, no more crashes. This problem is there since version 8.0.1.

2. Audio stream problems (suspected pass-through related)

Unless the WiFi bug, the problems described below are much more important an annoying.

Problem description

To clarify the problem I included some relevant screenshots below this post. When I start a movie which contains one AC3 5.1 stream and one or more DTS 5.1 streams the AC3 stream gives no sound. When I choose the DTS or DTS-HD stream I have sound but only in stereo, unless the fact that the DTS streams are 5.1 streams. I have Sonos and Sonos does not support DTS so it does not even supposed to play these DTS streams. When I choose the AC3 5.1 stream in the same movie I only get sound when I switch off pass-through for this stream. The incoming signal on my Sonos playbar however is then in stereo and not Dolby Digital 5.1. In all cases I have GUI sounds.

It is getting stranger. When I play a movie which contains one AC3 5.1 stream I have sound in Dolby Digital 5.1 format. When I have a movie with two or more AC3 streams, for example AC3 2.0 en 5.1 then I have sound on the 2.0 stream (stereo) but not on the 5.1 stream. The 5.1 stream only gives sound when I switch off pass-through for this stream. The incoming signal on my Sonos playbar however is then again in stereo and not Dolby Digital 5.1.

Then another strange problem. After a fresh installation the audio output en throughput device where on HDMI#0. After one reboot the audio output en throughput device where from then on Displayport#0.

When the audio output and throughput device were on HDMI#0 then in Settings → System → Audio the options ‘AC3 capable receiver’, ‘DTS capable receiver’, DTS-HD capable receiver’ en ‘TrueHD capable reciever’ were visible. When the audio output and throughput device were on Displayport#0 then in Settings → System → Audio the options ‘AC3 capable receiver’, ‘DTS capable receiver’ are visible. The options DTS-HD capable receiver’ and ‘TrueHD capable receiver’ were no longer visible.

Both problems are there since version 8.0.1.

What with the HDMI 2.0 firmware update from Intel. Could this be part of the solution? I tried to install it but it needs a HDMI 2.0 device, preferably a TV, attached to the NUC. Don’t have a HDMI 2.0 capable device to attach to NUC. So for now I can not test this. I managed to do the update to 1.66. Unfortunately this did not solve my problems with passthrough.

What about the discussions in this, this and this link ? How to install a patched version? How to install the Milhouse build, they are not the regular IMG files. Do I have to compile myself?  Sorry, as per this link I know.

The symptoms above are they part of the pass-through / hdmi firmware problems discussed earlier in this thread and post? I'm having more and more regrets buying this intel NUC7I5BNK.

Greetings,

Erik

Hi

I have an Aspire One Intel atom and with 8.02 bluetooth adaptor not found . The bluetooth adaptor is Foxconn BCM02046. Could you guide me how to activate this?

Thannks in advance

Is this an internal or external adapter? Do a "journalctl | grep -i bluetooth" to see what the error is and to see the name of the kernel module that its trying to load. Most likely the kernel module for this adapter is not present in LE. The command "lsmod" can be used to see if the bluetooth module is loaded.

If a bluetooth kernel module exists for your device you can download the kernelmodules and use the same procedure as I did.

ehoitinga

Hi,

Did you solve the HD Pass through on your NUC ?

I still can't hear HD Audio because of Intel's firmware or driver problem, i updated to the latest bios "46" but still the same ....

I don't now if you were able to read my screenshots and pastbins. After the change of the forum software most of my links in my first post were converted to something like:

Code
    https://forum.libreelec.tv/core/dereferer/?ref=aHR0cCUzQS8vcGFzdGViaW4uY29tL0ZaeUZ2Vmh1

For now the HD pass through is working for me. When I play a movie with AC3/EAC3 sound I see a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal coming in to my Sonos soundbar. I can't test DTS because Sonos does not support DTS (nor DTS-HD, DD+ or DD TrueHD)

As for the audio pass-through there are two things that bother me:

1. My NUC is connected to my HDMI switch with a HDMI cable. The "ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, MEI Panasonic-TV on Displayport #0" port however, is listed in possible audio output devices in stead of the expected "ALSA: HDA Intel PCH, MEI Panasonic-TV on HDMI #0", this in spite of the BIOS settings I changed. Although the xrandr command says that the displayport DP1 is connected. So I think that displayport#0 (DP1) has nothing to do with the displayport capability of the thunderbolt port on my NUC. I believe DP1 and HDMI1 are clones on the physicval HDMI port. Apparently the Linux layer lists the port starting at "1" and Kodi starts listing at "0". Its a bit confusing but not an error. So I consider my first point concerning audio pass-through as solved.

2. Sometimes when Kodi starts I have no sound from whatever video in my library. The strange thing is that I have GUI sounds. A restart does not help. I have to choose Power down the system en start it again to get sound from my videos again. It does not happen very often. I have not yet been able to reproduce this error but it seems to happen after a power failure.

Despite these two "issues" my audio pass-through for AC3/EAC3 on HDMI is working fine with these audio settings: screen1 and screen2.

Did you also check if the HDMI firmware update is necessary for your setup? This post and this post suggests that it is a HDMI2.0 problem. However, the HDMI update to version 1.66 solves the pass-trough problems in Windows. For Linux (and thus LibreElec) we are still waiting for the linux drivers/kernel module to be updated. Does pass-through work for you with AC3/EAC3?

Hi, I noticed that when I Ctlr-Click a link in a post to for example an image or pastbin, the warning page "You are leaving now LibreELEC Forum." is displayed while Ctrl-clicking a link in post implies that the link could be directly opened in a new tab in stead of displaying the warning page first.

OK. I adapted my first post with my latest findings. For now the installation of LibreElec 8.0.1 works fine on my brand new NUC7I5BNK. The errors and warnings found in "journalctrl" and "kodi.log" do not seem to cause problems yet.

Let me start by going through the ONGOING issues in my first post one by one.

First the WiFi kernel module. The command "journalctl -a | grep -i iwlwifi" reveals that the kernel is trying to load iwlwifi version 23-26. Only iwlwifi version 22 exists in LibreElec:

Code
    Mediacenter:~ # find / -name iwlwifi-8265-*.ucode
    /usr/lib/firmware/iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode
    Mediacenter:~ #

On this page I found version 27 of the Intel iwlwifi kernel module. I downloaded the file and put it in the directory "/storage/.config/firmware/". After a restart I see that version 22 is still loaded. Is the directory "/storage/.config/firmware/" the right directory to put this file and/or do I follow the right procedure?

WiFi is working with firmware version 22 except for the one time problem that Wired and Wifi interface seemed to be on the same MAC address at first configuration (described in point 5 in my first post).

Will read the rest as well, but this is always a blocker in my eyes ;)

Overscan should NOT be fixed by using Kodis video calibration. Nearly every modern LCD TV (Which is 1080p capable) should be able to display the pixels natively. So if Kodis GUI is bigger than the screen, you have to change the settings at your TV and not inside Kodi. While doing that inside Kodi you will loose native resolution and that's not the thing you want, I guess ;)

So please check your TV settings. Depending on TV (every vendor does it different), you need to check the zoom-option and/or if your TV has a "PC-mode". Use that instead of the calibration. The calibration is mostly used with older TVs which are only capable of 1360*768 or such and which don't have those zoom-options or a PC mode.

If it's a newer LCD TV, just take a look at the manual how overscan should be handled on the TV.

Thank you for the info. I dove into the manual of my TV and I found an option called "Picture Overscan". I had to set this option to "off". After that I set the overscan in Kodi to it's default.

Will adapt the first post.

Thanx.
    [hr]

ehoitinga

Please note that we prefer to have logs or other text snippets uploaded with LE's built-in pastebinit tool, or pasted onto pastebin.com (or the pastebin website of your choice). It makes reading logs a lot easier on big display, and not via a letterbox view in the forum. Thanks in advance.

O, I'm sorry. Never worked with pastbin. Will look at it.

OK. Looked at it. Should I paste the web link, the JavaScript Embedding or the Iframe Embedding?