Posts by WP2_Matt_EIRE13

Thanks for the explanation.

Is this the non standard location?

Code
    /dev/mmcblk1boot0
    /dev/mmcblk1boot1

Since the Wetek Play 2 won't be able to play HDR or DV, I think I will keep it for its DVB-S tuner in a corner or my house as recommended at the beginning of this thread.

And since the SD latch is now broken, booting from SD is only an option if I put a thick piece of tape or something to hold it in permanently.

Any possibilities of using a USB stick? And shall I revert back to LE9 to have the tuner support?

I have been trying a whole lot of different procedures, it will only boot when the SD in held in, and when it manages to boot there's no control over whether it starts from EMMC or SD.

The instructions seem pretty straightforward and so far I don't see where I'm making a mistake:

Code
    cd /storage
    wget https://chewitt.libreelec.tv/testing/LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-10.0.0-wetek-play2.img.gz
    emmctool w LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-10.0.0-wetek-play2.img.gz
    dd if=/storage/u-boot.bin.sd.bin-wetek-play2 of=/dev/mmcblk1

Then reboot without SD should have Llibreelec start from internal EMMC. Or is there something else to do?

FYI - I tried toggling boot loader with the remote's power button just in case as well

I wonder if there isn't something else going.
    It booted from internal storage (SD card was out) and I checked the storage size in Kodi. All good.
    I started my configuration then I decided to stop and powered the wetek play 2 off.

It never booted back from eMMC the next time I powered it on.

Then I went through the procedure again, and the emmctool seems at times to modify incorrectly labels:

- emmctool w img-file

- emmctool u u-boot.bin-file

Reboot, impossible to boot from internal, re-insert SD card then boot prompt with error about not finding the partition with the LABEL LIBREELEC.

Re-flash the img onto the SD, boot again, SSH to the box, tried using DD for the u-boot, still nope.

What I've noticed is that the sector are not modified between emmctool w and emmctool u:

Zeroed: OK

emmctool u

emmctool w

dd u-boot file

None of the 3 scenarios allow me to boot from internal for now. Not sure which wizardry occurred when it booted for just one time

Hooray!! I got it booting from internal storage after a dozen attempts. Thought there is no sound which is strange as when I booted from the SD sound was working perfectly out of the box. I'll try to figure it out.

Here the extract of what I did on my final attempt that worked:

What is strange is dd did not work

Code
    dd if=/storage/u-boot.bin.sd.bin-wetek-play2 of=/dev/mmcblk1

Unless I miss-read, dd without options should not offset or seek. If the command is correct, I took an strace just in case if you need it.

I'll dig into the sound issue and will let you know.

Thanks a lot! :D

How can I send you beers or coffee over?

No worries, these things happen.

just so I don't do a mistake, what do you mean by write the "wetek-play2" image to an SD card and leave it connected? Are you referring to your builds? Today I couldn't boot back to the SD after the erasure. ( I did find a way to keep the SD in place by the way).

I'm off to bed as it is the time on this side of the world and will try to sort it out tomorrow with fresh eyes :)

Thanks again for your assistance

I might of messed up something: blank display and cannot get to boot back to SD.

Though the output seemed ok...

Tried all 3 USB ports with no luck. (used new USB key and tested with both the version 10 you shared and LE9.0.2).

Would the internal port be worth a try?

I tested holding the SD card in and it manages to boot on my previous install. The moment I let go, the SD is out and disconnected. However, using another SD card, I cannot boot your version 10.

Since the WeOS is out of date and rubbish, I'm thinking if I could get it working with latest, I could wipe the EMMC and run LE from internal only. The SD-Card slot repair is likely no worth the effort of trying to repair.

However, I'm not sure how I can achieve that install. Anything that can be done from the Android recovery loader?

Thanks for you answers so far. I read in depth also this Kodi post START HERE - Pick the right Kodi box (updated Dec 2020) where I think it might not be up to date with the current release.

I'm not too sure I understand how well the RPi4 handles HDR and heavy video format...

Here is an example of what the Wetek Play2 has no issue whatsoever to play, except outputting the correct colour space.

Plex embedded TV app, even with the pass (for HDR) failed miserably with the above and, my Panasonic TV cannot output the audio when that file is played from a USB key within its own video file app.

If you all tell me I will have some peace of mind with a RPi4 and LE, I found this that can be delivered to NZ from amazon bundled by CanaKit for not too much sur-charge.

Is LE10.0.0 "box" image for WP2 (vendor u-boot) only possible to install on the EMMC?

Hello dear LibreELEC community,

I have been a so happy with my Wetek Play 2 and now it seems it is time to upgrade due to lack of support on that board (unless I didn't find the secret build!) and also the acquisition of a new TV 4K HDR / Dolby vision capable.
    After browsing the forum here and the CoreELEC one as well, I am a bit lost as to what to pick TBH.

It seems I will have to accept losing DVB-T/S capability built in, I do have on the other hand a USB DVB-T/C2 dongle.

I am now in New Zealand and that is also restricting a lot of sources of suppliers.

From my research so far to get HEVC 10Bit, 1Gbps LAN port and HDR support:

• Odroid N2 + seems old, expensive and hard to get. Supplier in South Korea has also a very limited warranty
    • Building a PC or getting a NUC feels too expensive and I will be losing CEC capability ( I do like having only one remote :) )
    • I could source from amazon US a Beelink GT king, but it seems sort of old and I read quite a few complaints about them
    • Nvidia Shield Pro forces me to have Android TV, when I just want Kodi (Netflix, Amazon Prime and whatnot are built in my TV) so maybe too expensive for stuff I don't need.
    • I never own a Raspberry Pi and I read a lot of good stuff about the PI4. All out of stock here in NZ or overpriced, could get it from Amazon US. I was surprised about the mini HDMI port though
    • Then I checked all sort of Amlogic boards, Rockchip and Allwinner, but it's hard to figure out which will bring all the needed features, stability and won't break too soon.

So that's where my research ended so far, with nothing super convincing or a clear upgrade path that could last another 2 to 3 years.

/shrug

Thank you for your advise,

Matt

Resurrecting this thread not to create a duplicate one.
    I have re-installed official LE 8.2.5 for Wetek play 2, I see all the .fw files in /lib/firmware required as described here https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/pinnacle_pctv_triplestick_t2_(292e) but the device is not created in /dev/dvb/adapterx.
    My understanding was that since 8.2.0 the usb DVB drivers were included.
    Did I get the wrong idea and need to stay on the community builds?

You can try running one of my builds to see if your USB tuner is supported by media_build drivers:
    thread-2156.html

Internal tuner won't work in my build but you should be able to tell if there's hope to add support to your device.

The tuner is detected with your build!! :)

And it is working in TVHeadend.

Hello,

I just got a PCTV Triplestick 292e that does not work on my Wetek Play 2, most likely due to the kernel version 3.14 if I am correct, even though the FW files are present in /lib/firmwares.
    I searched on the forum and on other websites such as linuxtv.org and it seems there are no workarounds to use this tuner on this device.

I would like to know if the kernel used for Wetek Play 2 and Amlogic devices will soon be updated to 3.16+?
    If that is unlikely to happen any time soon, has anyone got a solution or a workaround?

I could also return the tuner, however, I found it difficult to clearly understand which USB tuner would work properly for DVB-T2, the geniatek for instance was several time reported as not being capable to do more than T1... And the availability of different brands of tuners in Ireland is very limited, even on Amazon for example...

Maybe we could try to consolidate a list of USB tuners that will work with the current kernel version and fw provided?

Having the embedded DVB-S2 tuner and a working USB DVB-T2 tuner would make my system complete.

Your help and advice will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
    WP2_Matt

PS: Excellent work from kszaq, raybuntu and the libreelec team, I'm impressed.