Posts by Iridium

I agree with DaVu - use a powered USB hub - especially with a 1.5TB (I assume 2.5" disk). The max power is over all USB ports, so anything else attached is going to draw power from that. If you only have one USB device and a GOOD power supply, then you should be OK.

Personally, I don't trust the power on the RPi, so I always use a powered hub for HDD.

Don't know what you are expecting to happen with a cache size of 800MB (Apart from a total system freeze) as you only have 470MB free memory.

Use "nmon" from LE repository - system-tools, to monitor the memory usage. It won't happen all at once but over time depending on the speed of data transfer.

You can also see how much is buffered when playing a video by pressing the "i" key. Blue is played, light grey is buffered dark grey unbuffered.

You don't say how the video is being read. NAS/HDD/SD card/Flash Drive/Stream or the size of the file being transfered - nmon will help with that also.

I've managed to get LE to boot from an eSata SSD with vpeter 7.95.3 K3.14.
    I modified uEnv.txt on the SD card to point root=/dev/sda1 and disk=/dev/sda2.

However, I really want to use root=UUID=xxxx and disk=UUID=xxxx but the SD card and SSD have the same UUID.

Mercury:# blkid
    /dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="42EE-5EC6" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="a22eb27c-01"
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="Storage" UUID="e8c5ba0a-3f3c-41f4-988a-cd06f120819c" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a22eb27c-02"
    /dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="a22eb27c" PTTYPE="dos"
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="42EE-5EC6" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="a22eb27c-01"
    /dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID="e8c5ba0a-3f3c-41f4-988a-cd06f120819c" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a22eb27c-02"
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"

I assume this is normal because both were created from the same image.

It seems to boot happily with the eSata and a USB HDD attached but I want to make sure it doesn't try to use the HDD as the boot image - and fail!

So can I just use gparted and assign a new UUID to /dev/sdax

Also, what files do I really need on the SD card. Can I get away with just uEnv.txt, KERNEL and SYSTEM?

Ok, so that explains what the error is. But, hey. If I see a slider button that says "Disable SSH Password" that means to me "Disable password on SSH" meaning I can SSH into the box without a password.

Nowhere does it say I have to provide a public key, nor how to do it.

Maybe it should be renamed to "Disable SSH" to eliminate confusion.

@antonsn
    Use <network> for Kodi 16 and before
    Use <cache> for Kodi 17 and above.
    <memorysize> is "xxxMB cache" so convert to bytes, so 200MB is 209715200

Also read the header - The RPi3 may have 1G ram but only about 480MB of that is available.

[Conclusion]
    For high bit rate over Ethernet a memorysize of 314572800 and a readfactor of 20 should suffice - as long as no other processes are running and using memory, transmission/SQL etc.

However, if multiple videos are watched, the system may still run out of memory - keep an eye on the memory usage and if it drops to less than 50MB decrease the memorysize by 50MB.

I've just done some tests on a RPi3 7.95.3 using Ethernet and everything is working as expected. (The RPi3 only has 736MB available due to GPU memory allocation, 250 MB it used for the system, leaving only 480MB to play with)
    However, I do wonder if Kodi has changed the algorithms for Kodi 17 as I can see no reason why the 3 x memory rule applies.

1st test: Standard TV show
    No file - Defaults = 20MB cache readfactor 4
    Uses about 10MB ram, very little buffering - about 1 minute.
    [hr]
    136MB cache readfactor 20.
    Uses about 70MB ram - 20 minute buffered
    [hr]
    200MB cache readfactor 20
    Uses about 110MB ram - 30 minute buffered
    [hr]
    2nd test: 7G movie DTS - Network maxed out around 10,000KB/s filling the cache.
    300MB cache readfactor 20
    Uses about 180MB ram - 2/3 minutes buffered
    [hr]
    400M cache readfactor 20
    Uses about 230MB ram 5/6 minutes buffered
    [hr]
    600M cache readfactor 60
    Uses about 330MB ram 10 minutes buffered.
    [hr]
    I can't confirm that they all work reliably, but if something worked in Jarvis, try tripling the values for Krypton and see if that works.

Just to max it: 27GB Bluray m2ts file
    600M cache readfactor 60
    Used about 450MB leaving only 30MB free - system froze (Probably out of memory)
    [hr]
    Same Bluray but over wifi. - Network maxed at 4,600KB/s
    300M cache readfactor 20
    Uses about 360MB ram <1 minute buffered. (Caused severe buffering issues (Buffer fill rate too slow)
    Over Ethernet.
    Uses about 360MB ram 3 minutes buffered (playback smooth)