[OTT M8S S812] Getting LibreELEC Working...

• Hello, I'm new here and I was wondering if I could get a developer to try and help me get LibreELEC working on my device. I believe that many people have these "clones" or some sort of different version of these M8S boxes. I would like a little help on getting a ROM fully working on these devices. I can test whenever you'll like, just compile the image in a .zip or send me the file of what you've changed and I'll replace it in the .zip file.

Firstly, let me list you my exact specs of the box.

OTT - M8S.

S812 Processor. (Small heatsink)

PCB says M8 v8_6.

The NAND says: Skyhynix and is 8GB.

Has a AP6330 WIFI Chipset.

Has 2 GB of RAM or 4 - 512mb modules of RAM, as I see 4 chips on the PCB.

A rounded case, with M8S on the top, which probably does not matter, and a rounded remote.

If you need pictures, I'll be gladly to supply the internals of the box.

I was observing how these boxes function and they aren't friendly, and not easy to work with. I've test many M8S ROMs for my device and none seem to boot. Many of them love to stall on the bootloader screen (the logo "M8S", 8 core) and some even produce no output to my display forcing me to use USB Burning Tool or SD_Boot_Card maker to revive my device. I've lately came across a LibreELEC build which functions almost perfectly on my device.

None of the 8.0+ builds work on my M8S, and I know there can be a number of reasons why.

I've tried many builds from Demetris, but none seem to work on my box... Actually doesn't even install because I get an error in TWRP saying the updater-binary is broken or wrong...

I've tried a S8x2 build from drieschel's link, and I got a working box with Jarvis installed. Sadly, the remote didn't work, and also I didn't know how to fix that. What I did was I went to amlinux.ru's MEGA page and downloaded a copy of 7.0.2 M8S LibreELEC and tried installing it. Sadly I bricked my box once again. From here, I decided to change the kernel of the build I got from amlinux and my box booted back up. I took the kernel from drieschel's build and overwritten the kernel inside the amlinux build, and I had a functioning box with remote working.

But there are a few pros and cons with this kernel.

Pros:

- WIFI works well. (Haven't tried Wired yet.)

- Bluetooth non-functional - displays "Disabled" in the settings of LibreELEC.

- Remote is now working, but buttons are a bit messed up, for example, the volume buttons are now the Menu and Home keys on my remote.

- Suspend works good.

- Videos are running well up to 1080p, have not tried 4K.

Cons:

- The system only recognizes 512mb of RAM. Which is a big concern for me... As this puts more stress on the box loading things.

I would also like to learn how the kernel works and compiled, but for now, If a developer could try to get at least 1 GB of RAM working on this box, I would be greatly happy and others that have this "clone".

Thanks,

5shane1

Edited once, last by 5shane1 (August 7, 2017 at 4:13 PM).