[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data

• Hi guys. I am thinking of upgrading to 8.9, what is the safest way to do this. I would love to just add the TAR file to the update folder but the partition rename from ""libreelec disk"" to ""storage"" , I am guessing this would cause problems. What is the easiest and safest way to upgrade

Thanks

I think you can copy the TAR file to the update folder then rename the disk label to "storage" by this command:

Code
    e2label /dev/data "STORAGE" 

Then reboot the system to start upgrade.

This is the most simple solution. Anyway, do a backup, should this procedure fails.

• I'd like to do this but I don't see eMMC partitions:

Code
    CoreELEC:~ # ls /dev/mmcblk0*
    /dev/mmcblk0       /dev/mmcblk0boot0  /dev/mmcblk0boot1  /dev/mmcblk0rpmb

while in dmesg I see some mentions:

CoreELEC (official): 9.0.0 (Amlogic.arm) on gxl_p281_1g

Please help how to make them "visible".

• I'd like to do this but I don't see eMMC partitions:

Code
    CoreELEC:~ # ls /dev/mmcblk0*
    /dev/mmcblk0       /dev/mmcblk0boot0  /dev/mmcblk0boot1  /dev/mmcblk0rpmb

while in dmesg I see some mentions:

CoreELEC (official): 9.0.0 (Amlogic.arm) on gxl_p281_1g

Please help how to make them "visible".

disregard, fixed.

• I have a M8S Pro+ box, booted from LIbreElec SD card. There's no DATA partition in the blkid output. I can see the HDD connected though.

lsblk

Code
    LibreELEC:~ # blkid
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="LIBREELEC" UUID="2557-19A6" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="be03dce7-01"
    /dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL="LIBREELEC_DISK" UUID="cdedf16d-e99c-4cd3-a2f1-61a687bcd470" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="be03dce7-02"
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="HD 1" UUID="92920C84920C6ED3" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="5d5e9383-01"
    /dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="be03dce7" PTTYPE="dos"

parted

However there is no lsblk or fdisk. But I suppose they would just give the same result. Can anyone please explain why there is no DATA partition on display?

Thanks

same problem any help

• Hi there, my x96 mini's android crashed, im unable to load the stock firmware so deiced to run libre from a sd card. Now the issue is android not present, i dont have a /dev/data partion to use as local storage. How do i then proceed further?

• It cant, im getting uboot errors, so am stuck with that. Its a clients box that they said its just black. So i noted the ANdroid system is gone. But yes i have been struggling for more than a week trying different stock images to get the firmware loaded again, but no luck.

• I am using Mini M8S box with the Xannytech custom ROM, and the Kodi community build 8.2.3.1 community for S905 arm.

I've been using the build for some time and it works extremely well, especially with the modification of sharing data with internal as per this thread.

I occasionally use the 'reboot from internal' option on the build to get into internal ROM. Sometimes, when I finish what I'm doing and reboot to get back into Kodi, sometimes the SD card seems to get corrupted or, at least it does not boot into Kodi. If I take the SD card out, it boots from internal just fine, but when trying to boot from external Kodi, it just gets stuck on boot logo.

This has happened a few times and I now keep a full image backup of fresh Kodi image and I have to restore that back onto the card to get up and running again.

I wonder if somebody could help with why I sometimes get the external boot messed up?

• Hi,

MXQ Pro 4k box, S905X 2G/16G

I had old coreelec installation configured to start from SD and use internal memory for data.

Now i'm trying a new install. Running from SD works OK but when I configure internal memory for data, system use some old (problematic) configuration stored in the internal memory.

Where is old coreelec data stored in the internal memory? How can I delete it?

btw. Orginal android on the box is still working.

• Hello, two years ago i bought a MECOOL M8S PRO + to my brother and installed LibreELEC to the internal, sharing the storage with android as described in this method. I’ve been disconnected recently and I don’t know how to proceed to restore the original partition layout with android, deleting the LibreELEC data without bricking anything. Any help?