two versions on one PC

• I'm using LE to update my shared mysql library. Unfortunately I've ended up with some clients on 16.1 & some on 17.1. I'm wondering if its possible to run both versions of LE so that both kodi libraries can be updated.
    I'm pretty sure they can't run at the same time but perhaps one could start up, update the library and then quit... repeated by the second version.

Any thoughts?

• Invest the time and update everything to 17.1, because although it's technically possible to do some kind of dual-boot arrangement on a box to allow booting between LE 7/8 - it's one of those topics where "if you have to ask how it's done?" it will take considerably longer to figure that out (there is no pretty howto guide anywhere) than the effort of updating, which most users understand.

• Invest the time and update everything to 17.1, because although it's technically possible to do some kind of dual-boot arrangement on a box to allow booting between LE 7/8 - it's one of those topics where "if you have to ask how it's done?" it will take considerably longer to figure that out (there is no pretty howto guide anywhere) than the effort of updating, which most users understand.

It's not a question of investing time; One of my boxes runs SPMC and the current version is still on the 16.1 library. Until Koying updates I'm stuck with both versions.
    So my choices are to dump SPMC and loose DTS passthrough or keep running both versions.
    I wish I had stayed with 16.1 but I can't do that either because another box is running MRMC and I can't downgrade it.
    [sigh].