[Solved] RPi 2 does not start LE8.0.1

• Hi all

I have a working RPi 2 model B that runs fine with raspbian wheezy. The moment I try to start it with LE8.0.1, it just comes up with the rainbow square as listed here:

what-the-raspberry-pis-rainbow-boot-screen-and-rainbow-1768470271

I've tried both Kingston 16GB Class 4 and Strontium 16GB Class 10 microsdhc cards but the same happens. I have a 2A adapter by the way. I'm using the following image:

LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.1.img

as follows:

dd bs=4M if=/openelec/LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.1.img of=/dev/sde status=progress

I also tried the usb-sd creator with same issue. I know that the rainbow square often points to hardware issues but as mentioned, I've already tried 2 different msd cards, both of which work perfectly fine with raspbian.

Any ideas on this one?

Edited once, last by rpedrica (April 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM).

• When you say rainbow square, do you mean full screen or just in the top right hand corner. If the latter it's a hardware issue of lower power < 4.65v, but it should not be there as I'm sure the kernel was changed to show a yellow bolt of lightning.

A screenshot or photo would help if something different.

Try another PSU - just because it SAYS 5v 2amp it doesn't mean it will always supply that.

Also you don't mention what else is attached to the USB ports, GPIO pin, Camera? LCD screen?

• Hi Iridium

Thanks very much for your response. I've just in the last few minutes realised what the issue is - I actually have a Pi 1 model b+. This looks pretty much exactly like the 2 and therefore my mistake. I noticed this from the date stamped on the pcb and compared to what was listed for manufacturing on the wikipedia page - very confusing!

In any case, I assume that the problem is due to incorrect kernel so I've just downloaded pi (1) image and will test again.