LE 8.0.1 fresh install - lircd not up by default

• Hello everyone,

Currently have LE8.0.1 on my Intel NUC. lircd is not coming up by default. Had the same issue with LE8.0.0 and was hoping the LE8.0.1 release fixed it.

I also have LE8.0.1 running on my RPi 3 no issues, did not have to do anything, just add the lircd.conf file for the remote.

htpc:~ # uname -a
    Linux htpc 4.9.13 #1 SMP Wed Mar 22 17:35:19 GMT 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    htpc:~ # ps -ef | grep lircd
    280 root 0:00 /usr/sbin/eventlircd -f --evmap=/etc/eventlircd.d --socket=/run/lirc/lircd
    550 root 0:00 {kodi.sh} /bin/sh /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.sh --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
    555 root 0:03 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
    612 root 0:00 grep lircd

I did go to the LE Add-on and made sure lirc was enabled there, by default it was disabled.

Please let me know if there is anything to be done to have lircd to come up. I was hoping it was automatic, but no problem if I have to write a script. Just wanted to know what needs to be done if that is the case.

Thanks!

Edited once, last by jflozanor (March 25, 2017 at 4:37 AM).

• Could you please post the output of

Code
    ir-keytable
    dmesg | paste
    journalctl -a | paste
    lsmod | paste

Also: which remote are you using and could you upload your lircd.conf file?

so long,

Hias

• lsmod | paste

Hi Hias, thanks a lot for the reply. Here it is the output from the commands you requested:

htpc:~ # ir-keytable Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
    Driver ite-cir, table rc-rc6-mce
    Supported protocols: unknown other lirc rc-5 rc-5-sz jvc sony nec sanyo mce-kbd rc-6 sharp xmp
    Enabled protocols: lirc nec rc-6
    Name: ITE8713 CIR transceiver
    bus: 25, vendor/product: 1283:0000, version: 0x0000
    Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

htpc:~ # dmesg | paste
    dXOI
    htpc:~ # journalctl -a | paste
    cMMA
    htpc:~ # lsmod | paste
    IZia

I am intending to use the remote of a Sony DVD I have (Sony_RMT-D173A).
    I grabbed it from the lirc.org database

In LE 8.0.0 it sort of worked when I manually launched lircd. However this did not work with LE8.0.1.

htpc:/usr/share # /usr/sbin/lircd /storage/.config/lircd.conf
    Warning: cannot open /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks!

Edited once, last by jflozanor (March 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM).

• Thanks for the logs. dmesg, lsmod and ir-keytable output look fine but there are no traces of lircd starting in journalctl.

Stupid question: have you enabled lirc in LE settings (Settings->LibreELEC->services)?

so long,

Hias

• Thanks for the logs. dmesg, lsmod and ir-keytable output look fine but there are no traces of lircd starting in journalctl.

Stupid question: have you enabled lirc in LE settings (Settings->LibreELEC->services)?

so long,

Hias

Hi,

Yes, certainly. I made sure the Settings - Services - Lirc - Enable Lirc option was enabled before I started checking things.

In other threads I had read that CEC had to be disabled. I tried checking that Settings - System - Input - Peripherals -CEC was disabled, but that option is grayed out. Not sure if it has any relation with the problem and if CEC is enabled.

Thanks again.

• Very puzzling. Could you run a few more commands and post the output?

Code
    ls -la /storage/.config/
    ls -la /storage/.cache/services/
    ls -la /dev/lirc*
    systemctl -a | paste
    udevadm info -a -n /dev/lirc0 | paste

It would also be interesting if starting lircd manually works. Open 2 ssh sessions, in the first one run this (it's a single line, forum display will break it but copy-paste should work):

Code
    /usr/sbin/lircd --nodaemon --loglevel=debug --driver=default --device=/dev/lirc0 --output=/run/lirc/lircd-lirc0 --pidfile=/run/lirc/lircd-lirc0.pid --release=_LIRCUP /storage/.config/lircd.conf

If this worked (you should see "Notice: lircd(default) ready, using /run/lirc/lircd-lirc0") run the following command in the second ssh session:

Code
    /usr/sbin/lircd-uinput --loglevel=debug --release=_LIRCUP /run/lirc/lircd-lirc0

At this point you should have a working remote in kodi.

Please also post the console output you got from these commands.

so long,

Hias

• Hi Hias,

It actually worked with the commands you provided!! Thanks so much!

Agree, this is very puzzling, not sure why it would behave that way with my NUC, it worked perfectly with my RPi 3. I am running Libreelec on my Intel NUC from a USB memory. It should not make a difference but I thought I would mention it.

I am sorry to ask but I am new to LE. I would need to know where to put these commands to so they get launched at boot. Would they go in the autostart.sh script in /storage/.config I have seen in other threads?

Below you will find the output from the requested commands. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks again.

Edited once, last by jflozanor (March 26, 2017 at 7:08 PM).

• Thanks for the feedback and the logs!

I guess I found the culprit (udev rules were too tight). Could you please download this file and copy it to /storage/.config/udev.rules.d/
    98-lircd.rules

Then reboot - lircd should automatically start. If you already added the lircd/lircd-uinput calls to autostart.sh please remove them before.

so long,

Hias