Asus Chromebox no video seen on playback?

• Having recently upgraded my Asus Chrombox from OpenELEC to LibreELEC 8.0.0 with Kodi 17.0, I find that I don't see video playback any more.

Specifically, after I seemed to get the U/I all working and displaying correctly, tweaking numerous settings around, I find that when I start to play a video (Movie, TV show, I've tried a few, so I assume it's not based on the specifics of a video file [format]), the play icon appears in the U/I, but nothing else appears. I can head the sound of the video, at least for quite a number of seconds worth, then the audio seems to stop. I can interact successfully with the U/I, stop the video, etc. But I never _see_ it.

This is likely specific to my chrome box, so let me know if I should try a different forum... I've asked in the Kobi forums too, but I know know where the problem lies, so asking here as well. Thanks...
    [hr]
    Hmm. Interesting additional detail. I hooked up a mouse to the box, largely to make adjusting settings a little easier. After having a mouse attached, I find that I can _click_ on the play icon and program/movie name near the upper right of the screen, and it attempts to display the video. But, it's not succeeding. I can't see anything but black, and after a few seconds (8?) it stops trying to play, then audio stops, and there are echoes of mouse cursor motion that get stuck in the video play area.

Is this a problem with settings on the video device? I followed the advice I found at Chromebox - Official Kodi Wiki to set things, up, and that was mostly how they were already set.

Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks.

Edited once, last by cross (March 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM).

• Same thing happened to me the other day. 'Reset LibreELEC to defaults' is the only way

First create a backup of your Kodi settings in LibreELEC (it will be stored in /storage/backups)

Copy the back up from your Chromebox to another device

'Reset LibreELEC to defaults' HARD RESET

after boot copy your back up to the chromebox /storage/backups

restore from backup

and you're back in business

• Same thing happened to me the other day. 'Reset LibreELEC to defaults' is the only way

[...]

Thanks! That did the trick. I ended up making and retrieving the backup off of the system, but not reloading it. I've just kept it for reference later, if I remember that I have it. I entered in the remote volumes I had set up, once-over the other config and settings, and am running like that. Videos now play as expected.

I wonder why that happened, and what exactly happened? Love to hear if anyone has root-cause thoughts, but I no longer need to solve the problem for my specific case.