Cannot SSH/Samba Over WiFi w/ RPi3

• Hello,

I would first like to start off by saying that this is my first Raspberry Pi project and that I'm very new to the software, lingo, acronyms, programming, etc - so please keep this in mind! I have searched around Google for awhile now and have found even a couple of threads on this forum... but apparently none of them seem to be adding up as a solution to my situation. So, as the subject states - I cannot seem to SSH or use Sambra file sharing via wireless network. Or at least longer than a few seconds...

RPi3 running LibreELEC v7.0.3 (kernel: Linux 4.4.13) with SSH and Sambra enabled.
    PC running Windows 10 Pro
    Router is running newest firmware and is the ASUS RT-N66U

Both my PC and RPi are connected to the same WiFi network (my 2.4GHz band). There seems to be a drop in connection when attempting to SSH or utilize what I assume is the Samba file share set up. Though, I can ping my RPi3 from command prompt successfully (see picture below). I can keep doing this with no issue.

When using PuTTY to connect to 192.168.1.5 with the follow parameters (see picture below), sometimes I get the option to provide username, but then it freezes up and drops off with the error 'Network error: Software caused connection abort'. More often than not I am just looking at the insertion marker before I receive the same error.

When navigating to \\192.168.1.5 I can see all the folders but after a few seconds it disconnects and pushes me back to Network area of Explorer.

Some of the things I have tried to troubleshoot:

• I have tried enabling and disabling 'Disable SSH Password' with the same result
    • Enabling and disabling SSH and Samba
    • Restarting RPi3
    • Adding an empty text file labeled 'ssh_enable' to \\192.168.1.5\ConfigFiles. Produces same results.
    • I have turned off AP Isolation in my router's settings (see picture below)
    • I have tried connecting RPi3 directly to router to SSH via PuTTY and receive an error saying 'Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey,keyboard-interactive)'
    • I've tried doing all of this while firewall was turned off (testing to see if I just needed to allow the IP of the RPi3 to communicate with my computer?) which produced same results

I do apologize if I am missing something from the several threads I've read through, but it's mostly the lingo that I can't translate well enough as I'm not too advanced of a user just yet. I hope what I have provided is useful. Thank you so much in advance for helping me through this issue though!

• Firstly I would try using an ethernet cable and see if you get the same results.

Also I would look at your "ping" especially as the delay is increasing over time. Try ping -c 20 <IP>and see if it times out.

'Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey,keyboard-interactive)' is due to "Disable Root Password" being set.

Double check your LE network settings - try manual instead of dhcp to see if that solves the issue.

Also supply logs: dmesg and kodi.log

Edited once, last by Iridium (February 20, 2017 at 6:14 PM).

• Firstly I would try using an ethernet cable and see if you get the same results.

Also I would look at your "ping" especially as the delay is increasing over time. Try ping -c 20 <IP>and see if it times out.

'Disconnected: No supported authentication methods available (server sent: publickey,keyboard-interactive)' is due to "Disable Root Password" being set.

Double check your LE network settings - try manual instead of dhcp to see if that solves the issue.

Also supply logs: dmesg and kodi.log

Thank you for the reply! In my original post I mentioned how I tried plugging directly into the router but that just produced the same result. With the error message I am receiving, do you suggest the resolution would be to enable it? I will try and do so. If not, do you have any suggestions as to resolve it? Where can I find dmesg and kodi.log, so that I may provide them? Also, I will give ping -c 20 a shot and try configuring the network settings manually when I get home in about an hour. I'll let you know how that goes!
    [hr]

Thank you for the reply! In my original post I mentioned how I tried plugging directly into the router but that just produced the same result. With the error message I am receiving, do you suggest the resolution would be to enable it? I will try and do so. If not, do you have any suggestions as to resolve it? Where can I find dmesg and kodi.log, so that I may provide them? Also, I will give ping -c 20 a shot and try configuring the network settings manually when I get home in about an hour. I'll let you know how that goes!

Edited once, last by lejaregg (February 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM).