Keymap changes having no effect

• I'm new to LibreELEC and loving it! The new bluetooth audio options are allowing me to perfect my multimedia setup. The last piece to the puzzle is perfecting my remote functions...

Unfortunately, every customization I try to make to my remotes is completely ignored. Is it just me? or is there something unique to LE that I need to know about?

I'm using LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-7.90.beta4.img on some Nexbox A95x (s905x 1/8GB) boxes.
    The remote bundled with the devices is great with its IR learning buttons. But without Android, there are a few unused buttons I'd like to re-purpose. There is a Kodi, globe, and presentation button that serves no purpose anymore.
    I also have some Minix A2 Lite remotes which give me keyboard and air mouse capabilities. But for some reason this build ignores the all important menu button. There is also a button with multiple squares on it and an application button that could be used for something.

So each remote has 3 buttons just begging to be useful. But everything I try has failed to make any change...

I've tried the keymap add-on which creates a gen.xml file in the keymaps folder. I've also tried manually editing xml files with actions I have found in the main keyboard.xml. Not only have I tried using button ids reported by the add-on, but I have also tried remapping currently used buttons like the '1' or '2' in hopes of getting any change to happen. Despite rebooting, no behaviour ever changes. I have not managed to alter the behaviour of any button.

What am I missing?

What information do you need from me to help troubleshoot?

Here's an example of a simple xml file I have tried (one of many):

Code
    <keymap>
      <global>
        <keyboard>
          <key id="61489">playpause</key>
          <key id="61490">audiodelay</key>
          <key id="61491">contextmenu</key>
        </keyboard>
      </global>
    </keymap>

Thanks for any and all attenton,