Switch from OE 6.0.3 RPi2

• Hello dear community.
    How to switch from OE 6.0.3 (latest stable) on RPi2 without loosing Library and settings please?
    I have googled and browsed this forums, but I didn't find it.
    Maybe the Wiki can be extended about this topic too.
    Thanks in advance for suggetions.
    if I missed a thread about this, which I probably did, please forgive me.
    Thanks.

• Official Post

Make a backup in the OE settings add-on, then simply update.

The main problems with updating are with kodi. Sometimes add-ons aren't updated for the new version.

If it goes wrong then you can use the backup you made.

• Make a backup in the OE settings add-on, then simply update.

The main problems with updating are with kodi. Sometimes add-ons aren't updated for the new version.

If it goes wrong then you can use the backup you made.

Thanks Irusak, I will try in the evening and post results.

• I just did the upgrade myself from Openelec 6.0.3 last night. I downloaded the tar, and replaced the files in the /flash partition, except config.txt and cmdline.txt. (Of course I have a backup of the storage partition)

When it first loaded, I had my doubts about smoothness, but I guess there is a lot to update between the database and Jarvis addons, and it wanted to rescrape my music for some reason. After about 10 minutes it levelled off and the smooth experience I've always had came back. All in all... It's pretty much the exact same as Openelec, only with Jarvis, at this point. (Not that I'm complaining)

• I just did the upgrade myself from Openelec 6.0.3 last night. I downloaded the tar, and replaced the files in the /flash partition, except config.txt and cmdline.txt. (Of course I have a backup of the storage partition)

When it first loaded, I had my doubts about smoothness, but I guess there is a lot to update between the database and Jarvis addons, and it wanted to rescrape my music for some reason. After about 10 minutes it levelled off and the smooth experience I've always had came back. All in all... It's pretty much the exact same as Openelec, only with Jarvis, at this point. (Not that I'm complaining)

Thanks, I thought I have to put the files into the update shared folder...

• Thanks, I thought I have to put the files into the update shared folder...

It's my understanding that you can just drop the SYSTEM and KERNEL files into the update folder. I just prefer to do it the old manual way because it eliminates any chances of a failed update. My storage partition is on USB, so I just pull the SD, replace the files, and boot up. If you are unfamiliar with the exact file structure though, it's probably best to just do it with the update folder.

Edited once, last by Dalton63841 (May 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM).

• Official Post

I just did the upgrade myself from Openelec 6.0.3 last night. I downloaded the tar, and replaced the files in the /flash partition, except config.txt and cmdline.txt. (Of course I have a backup of the storage partition)

You should use the normal update method. The bootloader and overlays also get updated when using our normal update method and there is less chance of breaking things as md5 checks are used to ensure file integrity.