RPi 3 stucks because of a HDD

• Hi,

I am user of LibreElec official installed through NOOBS:

I have 3 ampers power supply and no other devices attached to it except one regular external HDD, so it shouldn't have a problem to power that device.

Nevertheless, I can see it has some troubles. First of all, when I boot the RPi up with the HDD plugged in, it tries to spin that up for several times and succeeds about 5th try or something. But now, when I let the RPi turned on over night, the system is messed up - very slow and the disc is not working. It is not even possible to turn the device off (by OS, I can of course unplug it from power source, but the disc suffers...). Although reboot --force works...

Here is my journalctl dump.

I had a problem with corruption of a filesystem (fortunately, repairable) with this RPi and this disc. I thought it was just some random accident shutdown, but now there are to many problems with this.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Edited once, last by kotrfa (January 8, 2017 at 12:15 PM).

• it tries to spin that up for several times

That usually means that the HDD is not getting enough power, or for some reason the external HDD controller is not 100% Linux compatible. Try a powered USB hub to power your HDD. Anything can be printed on a power adapter/supply, but there are plenty of them that cannot live up to their own expectations.

Also, do you REALLY needs Noobs for starting LibreELEC? If LibreELEC is the only application/OS that you run on the RPi box, I'd suggest you install LibreELEC as the sole occupant of your SD card. It's less hassle altogether to begin with.

Edited once, last by Klojum (January 8, 2017 at 12:34 PM).

• OK, I was afraid of that... Will probably use some USB Flash, that should be enough.

And I just though that NOOBs starts somewhere before the whole system, hence there is no performance penalty.

Thanks