RetroELEC Kodi+Wayland+Emulationstation+RetroArch (x86/XU4/RPi)

• Not sure how you came to that conclusion. There's added optimalization for any CPU that has FMA/AVX instruction set (haswell and up). It's mentioned that during testing Skylake improved up to 50% during certain operations.

that's why I ask you, it was not clear for me. So I will update my NUC with this build.

Thank you for your explanation

• Basically, the build should still work on any x86_64 cpu but if you have haswell+ it might run a bit faster. I don't know if these optimizations translate to much difference regards to Kodi or emulators but any improvement is a good improvement.

For your NUC you should give the build in the "intel-core-avx" folder a shot, as it has additional compiler optimizations for haswell and 4.13 kernel.

• I'm already using your haswell build and saw a little improvement in dolphin, as you change the folder name I've prefered to ask you before updating ;)

I was using a selfmade Ubuntu before, but as I manage to run Stepmania (with your tip about LIB) I willl stay on your LE

and I was using Xanmod kernel, wich give me a huge perf gain compared to default ubuntu kernel

Maybe you could use his optimizations in jeos kernel, or it's already done ?

next step, get ultrastar deluxe working from LE 8)

thanks for your hard work

• when I say huge, it's compared to de default ubuntu 16.04 kernel that have a bug in glibc

I've got 5fps max in dolphin before switching to xanmod that gives me more than 30fps

so pretty the same as LE would give me, kernel is also well optimized

If I talk about xanmod it's because of your words "but any improvement is a good improvement"

and recall me when I was using xanmod, and I agree with; any improvements are welcome

and sorry for my bad english :)

• Uhm, glibc is the C library which is entirely separate from the kernel. I can't say that I know much about the patches Ubuntu include in their kernel package today, but I'd be very surprised if there's anything that would cause such a difference in 3D performance. There's certainly nothing in this "xanmod" that would give you +25fps, I'd like to see proof of this. There are no optimizations in the LE kernel either, it's standard Linux with a few patches to fix certain functionality.

Any improvement is good improvement indeed, but xanmod seems more like snake 0il to me. Looking through their commits and changes it seems like they are just switching around schedulers and tuning these. Looking at an older benchmark, it actually performs worse than the standard kernel. There is no proper documentation or reasoning on their mods either.

• For Ubuntu 16.04 users: A bug in the version of glibc shipped in Ubuntu 16.04 causes a performance regression in Dolphin. To work around this, upgrade to Ubuntu 16.10 or newer

changing to xanmod 4.12 resolved this issue for me instead of upgrading ubuntu

I also read some old article that give worse score, I realize that perf gain is came from version 4.12 more than from xanmod optimization...

I compared perf between original 4.4 kernel and 4.12 xanmod kernel :dodgy:

• I don't see how a kernel upgrade fixes a bug in glibc (although won't exclude it). More likely, the bug was fixed by Ubuntu and the patched glibc version was installed when you upgraded your kernel.

And yes, comparing 4.4 and 4.12 is very far from a good test.

• 20170823 uploaded:

Code
    vice: update to r33552
    vice-libretro: update to 1098528
    xf86-video-nvidia: update to 384.69
    mesa: update to 15f23fb (17.2-rc5)
    kodi: update to 7fc6da0 (17.4 final)
    SDL2: update to d4564ef

NOTICE TO GENERIC USERS

I previously switched to XZ compression for the squashfs to fit everything, but during testing on my Tronsmart I noticed that it's extremely slow (11 seconds vs 1 minute on creating a tar of /usr) compared to gzip. I've now switched to ZSTD compression which is nearly as fast as LZO (faster than gzip) while compressing better than gzip (the default). Regular LE does not have support for ZSTD and thus will not be able to upgrade to it either. You can only upgrade to it from a previous build of mine, or by doing a clean install.

• Through Docker you can containerize a base OS like Arch (what I used) then install pcsx2 and the 32-bit libraries it needs.

Could you give me more informations? I need to do the same to run Ultrastar Deluxe as it need sqlite en perl5 function not implemented in LE

I would build a container to use on LE but command docker is not reconize

• Update my system to : 20170823 generic

Emulatorstation won't start..

error log:

emulationstation: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

• Hi,

i test your latest build, but when i click on "Emulators" i just have a black screen and Kodi restart after.

I Copy My Bios folder and Roms folder from a Recalbox installation to the "Roms" folder.

I'm on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.

Is it Normal ? Or should i do something or install something before use Emulators ?

• Hi,

i test your latest build, but when i click on "Emulators" i just have a black screen and Kodi restart after.

I Copy My Bios folder and Roms folder from a Recalbox installation to the "Roms" folder.

I'm on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B.

Is it Normal ? Or should i do something or install something before use Emulators ?

No its not normal, have you tried a older build?