External Hard Drive ramdomly not detected on Kodi (Intel Nuc)

• Hello everyone,

I am reaching out to you to discuss a very specific problem for which I cannot find an answer. I use Kodi under OpenELEC on an Intel NUC that I’ve had for 8 years. I have 4 WD external hard drives, each 5TB and formatted as NTFS. Two are connected directly to the NUC via USB, and the other two are connected to a 60-watt USB hub powered by the mains.

My problem is that, quite regularly now, when I reconnect my hard drives after adding files, one of them is not recognized/detected by the NUC, even though when I disconnect it, I receive a message saying that the disconnection was successful. I should note that when a hard drive is not detected, regardless of the USB port I plug it into, whether it’s the NUC or the hub, it’s not detected, even on ports that work with other drives. Furthermore, when the problematic hard drive is connected to my 2 other PCs running Windows, everything works perfectly, and the hard drive is detected and its content accessible. Since OpenELEC has not been updated for a while and my 8-year-old NUC may be showing signs of wear and tear, I bought a new Intel NUC11PAHi7 Desktop PC with an Intel® Core i7, on which I installed the latest version of LibreELEC, but the problem is exactly the same—one new hard drive is not detected even though it is under Windows. For years, everything worked quite well, and these issues are relatively recent.

If any of you could kindly help me understand what’s going on, I would be very grateful as I must admit I am completely lost and cannot figure out the cause of this very perplexing problem.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

• Lalee
    September 11, 2024 at 8:45 PM