Dolby Vision Hardware Support With Intel A40 A50 GPUs ( x86 )

• Hi,

Thought that I would ask this as as the product pages for the Intel 'pro' cards have (since inception) long indicated hardware decoding for Dolby Vision.

Intel A40 | Intel A50

So, I would wonder if there's a future which sees them enter into the equation with the LibreELEC x86 builds.

I am specifically asking in LibreELEC as it is its own just enough linux OS, and is not Windows running an application.

Asking with all humility and no expectation or entitlement to a response. :)

Further Details

Extra tidbits:

• I recognise that x86 is a minefield of compatibility and woe 8o
    • I recognise that there are ways of making Windows 'handle' Dolby Vision, but to my mind that is not true native handling, and is not what I'm asking about
    • I thought it something worth mentioning as hardware support for DV on X86 thus far has really been the staple of a few laptops
    • If you dig fully you will note that the cards both decode and encode Dolby Vision

Thinking aloud, I wonder with the new KODI builds if this is just a matter of ensuring that any Intel Arc Pro linux drivers have the Dolby Vision support.:/

• New
    • Best Answer

The Linux ecosystem is starting to evolve "DV support" but mostly in the form of workarounds meaning "can play DV media without the colours looking weird" and not true "native" support for DV, which isn't likely to happen due to the Dolby licensing regime being the polar opposite of open-source. TL/DR: the Intel hardware might support DV, but the Linux software stack doesn't.

• Cheers.

I only ask because it's already happening nicely with the licenced S922X-J chips over on CoreELEC, and I just hoped that there might be some x86 competition for that since the Intel cards are licenced, and all that.

OK, thanks for the info, chewitt ! :)