[LE11] Odroid C2 playback issues with H.265 material: will things improve in LE12?

• My C2 board has been given a significant extension of time with the AMLGX driver provided by your team. THANK YOU! H.264 material plays almost perfectly, very rarely do I manage to freeze playback by doing a lot of forward/backward seeks. H.265 seeking though is problematic "maybe 7 out of 10", as described in the Amlogic AMLGX build release notes. Unfortunately, I can't even attain that seven (unless of course YMMV holds; my C2 is inferior to other AMLGX-suitable SBCs out there): either seeking, or switching audio channel (lots of anime watching with my son) makes the video freeze (in seldom case have Kodi restarts) in 90% of the time.

Usually I just press stop and play again. Keeping fingers crossed that it will be able to play after seeking to the point I was watching.

Add to the seek problems a lot of artifacting I do not see on a pal's RPi4 LE11 or on my own LE11 pc-based build, but that exists on specific anime releases (usually 1080p 10bit ones), especially when there is camera panning.

Do you know any devs had time/interest to look into these issues, in order to improve things on the upcoming LE12?

• The 7/10 quote comes from myself and I generally see HEVC being quite good with 23.976 movie media and less well behaved with TV content that's mostly 25/29.97 format, i.e. it's all about the original source and how I ripped stuff .. but my experience isn't going to be the same as everyone else's. I did manage to guess a fix for a VP9 playback issue recently, but that's not relevant for C2 users (as S905 doesn't support VP9) and otherwise there's no real-world changes coming in LE12. There has been some commercial work funded by LibreComputer on the hardware decode drivers in the last year, but that work hasn't resulted in something meaningful/testable yet, and right now the effort is stalled pending availability of more funds and some deep technical info from Amlogic.

• I see. Thank you for taking the time to provide your insights on the platform. I've been happy with it for a lot of years, thanks God for all the work provided by the LE project. It is what it is I guess 🙂