Connect to Synology NAS on different location

• Hi all,

I'm spending more time now at my girlfriends house. To connect to my Synology NAS (older model Synology NAS (DS214+), so no Docker options) at my own house, I have configured WireGuard on my MicroTik RB5009 router. Then I connect my Win 11 laptop to the TV and then I enable WireGuard client on my laptop. Via this way, I have access to my complete network at home incl the Synology NAS.

Another option: I have enabled OpenVPN server on my Synology NAS. So then, again I connect my laptop to the TV at my girlfriends house, I enable OpenVPN Client on my Win 11 laptop, and I have acces to my NAS (not to my complete network via this route, but good enough to at least reach my files on my NAS). But the whole laptop-connecting-to-tv-thing feels very 1998.... I have a Rpi4 with LibreELEC at home, so I'm familier with this. I just bought a Rpi5, to be used at home with the Nightly Builds. The Rpi4 can then be used for the TV at my girlfriends house.

So, what I would like to know, if I connect a Rpi4 with LibreELEC to my girlfriend's TV at her house;

1a) what are the options to connect to the Synology NAS sitting on a different location?

1b) out of these options, what is the best option? (most secure, stable f.e)

Thanks for the help in advanced.

• Oeff that's a big read...but worth it hopefully, cos getting this to work via WireGuard would be the best solution by far! Thanks, I did not realize WireGuard was already available on LE 🎉