Convert a Slice into portable NAS! Is it possible?

• I'm new to this forum and I couldn't find much about this device anymore! I got it through Kickstarter, like most people I assume, but mine got obsolete since we've had an Android box for streaming movies and series. But now I got the idea to convert this thing into a portable NAS unit if that is possible.
    My device is on LibreELEC 8.0.2 at this moment and still has the CM1 module in it, the storage it holds is a WD Blue 500gb SSD. Since I'm expecting a Pi 5 8gb soon, I'm not feeling about upgrading it to CM3, the Pi 5 will be a NAS project as well.

Anybody that has an idea I can pull this off or perhaps did it themselves before?

• The easiest way would be if you keep running LE on the Slice and use it's Samba server. OFC that's not really a full-fledged NAS but you can share the data on your HDD.

An alternative is to install any RPi0/1 compatible Linux/NAS system and add the dtblob.bin from LE to the boot partition - then Ethernet should work fine, too.

so long,

Hias

• IMHO wait until the RPi5 bits arrive then pull the drive out and connect to the new(er) RPi5 based NAS device. As much as I like the Slice box it's slow and dated and having the drive connected locally to the new stuff will just be easier.

• The easiest way would be if you keep running LE on the Slice and use it's Samba server. OFC that's not really a full-fledged NAS but you can share the data on your HDD.

An alternative is to install any RPi0/1 compatible Linux/NAS system and add the dtblob.bin from LE to the boot partition - then Ethernet should work fine, too.

so long,

Hias

I seem to get somewhere by flashing the "Buster" build to the Slice and add the bcm2835 files including the dt-blob.bin files to the boot and the slice.dtbo file to the overlays folder. The drive showed up on the network that way and I managed to log in to it and did the sudo command to update and upgrade, then ran into a usrmerge issue that it wasn't merged, fixed that with a command as well and now it seems to be installing OMV on it.

• IMHO wait until the RPi5 bits arrive then pull the drive out and connect to the new(er) RPi5 based NAS device. As much as I like the Slice box it's slow and dated and having the drive connected locally to the new stuff will just be easier.

I have a 2tb spinner for the RPi5 ready, so this Slice is a good practice and I seem to get somewhere right now. I basically combined files from an OpenElec into a Pi Buster-lite build.

• I ran into the limitations of the CM1, which isn't 64bit, so I got myself an small upgrade to work on the little NAS project.

CM3

At the moment I'm installing everything and hope to get further than a failed OMV install.

• It's a while since I shipped my Slice to another LE dev, but CM3 was a nice bump over CM1.

To bad, I just made during the whole process a 16 page long manual how you convert your Slice into a NAS! It might not be as fast as a ready out of the box NAS, but it's good enough for me!