something causes a blank hdmi after 2 months, 2 diff Rpi

• Ok so I took my rp4 4g loaded up libreELEC aand enjoyed 2 months of playing content in 5.1, then one day it stopped outputing HDMI, so i did this

Diff HDMI cables

Diff monitor

Ran the utility that makes sure that the SDcard is the boot sourse, that caused HDMI to show green

Turned of pi and flashed a new SD card, it looked 100% like it was loading but nothing ever appears on the screen, it seems libreELEC has killed the HDMI

So bought a pi4 8GB and a very nice aluminum case with fans, 2 months later, same deal, exactly the same thing.

Has anyone seen this or delt with it, or do I buy another one for the 2 months it will work for!

• It's rather unlikely that our software killed an RPi board (would be the first time it happens that I can recall) and if there was a general issue or risk with software/hardware we'd have seen it lots due to the volume of RPi users we have. Was the same PSU used with both boards? - that would be a more likely route to damage.

• diff PSU. I am going down that path in a few hrs as I completely forgot that, I don't think the RP are broken as such but there's some setting im just not getting right, when the first one went I went overboard on TS (worked in a senior role on the phones for apple) so I sorta did all I could do at the time, and just bought another, I'd love to get the 8gb rp working again as libreELEC is amazing.

any Ideas on what TS could help? so no hdmi but by examing the leds its booting normally

• I had a similar problem, lost the HDMI on my RB3b. I also thought the board was gone. Just ordered a new and I was sitting here here I thought I would go through the entire set complete with a new os. It worked. Board back up and running, I think it was in the SD card where the problem originated. I formatted the SD card then started from scratch, downloaded the OS and did the install.

• Thanks, i pulled all my psu and my phone got the default no card screen on both RP. re imaged Libre and even an older one, still cant get in, ill try raspberry pi os next

• Ok so 3 sd cards low level formatted, Raspbery pi os on one and libreELEC on 2 of diffrent sizes. Used the offical app to make the cards.

now with phone charger I see diagnosics on both with no sd as expected. the libreELEC cards, I see a rainbow pattern (never saw that before) then "no hdmi" left it in this state for 20 mins, both cards, 3 PSU, 2 monitors, by the led it was booting

Raspberry Pi OS I see nothing "No HDMI" the entire boot process, and yes it is booting by looking at the led

Now ive been into electroniucs for years and fixed all manner of gear on a bench that came from cinemas (i sort of help invent digital cinima in Aus) so i dont fear a Multimeter, anyone guide me in what to check for in case the 3 PSU that worked with both pi's is not suppply enough, or measure from gpo which i think would be better. at this point I have tried 4 HDMI leads, 2 monitors one being a bluray player that decodes 5.1 quite perfectly, a modern phone chager which I used to use without any issues, a PSU designed for PI with inline switch by JAYCAR which worked with new 8gb model for 2 months no issues and the PSU I bought 3 years ago when I bought the 4gb 4, it did show low power on rasputin os a year ago so replaced it. Im not sure apart from measuring the power what to do. Both RP show the diags with no card, when libreELEC is put in current AND older version i get rainbow (I stress ive never ever seen this before on the PI in libreELEC and i was using it every night for 60 nights) so any help?

Edited once, last by Ade42: changed thing (July 26, 2022 at 3:59 AM).

• So more TS, using again the 3 PSU, I made retropie and a random media player and another random os to try on both RP2. before inerting sd i make sure i could bring up diag screen. no joy