Tvheadend edit scanfile

• New user, but old hand with Linux on x86(-64).

I've just done a fresh install of Libreelec-10.0.2 (+Kodi) on a Pi 400. I've installed Tv headend for PVR/DVB, with which I am moderately familiar.

My problem: The scan data for UK transmitters is hopelessly out of date. I know the settings for my local transmitter, and know how to edit this on my desktop / laptops. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to edit it in Libreelec! The "Just Enough" OS does not appear to have a file manager or text editor - that I can find, anyway! I can't edit the file directly on the sd card, as it all appears to be contained in a squashfs file system! I've tried ssh-ing in to the system, but despite having turned the password off, it doesn't want to let me in!

There must be a way of doing this - its a simple enough task - but it has so far defeated me.

Any hints, pointers,etc, gratefully received!

--

Pete

• Of course there are text editors present by default in LE (AFAIK nano and vi ) but at first you have to enable the SSH service. Then use latest PUTTY to connect it.

Nevertheless, if you need to configure just a few transponders, the most easy & quick way is to configure them in Tvheadend GUI directly. Just ignore the predefined networks and create your own.

• I can't edit the file directly on the sd card, as it all appears to be contained in a squashfs file system!

AFAIK, the scan files are under:

/storage/.kodi/addons/service.tvheadend43/dvb-scan

and editable

• Thanks for the input, folks! Yes, I should have guessed there was a hidden folder somewhere (.kodi).

GH: Yes, thanks for that, and that is what I have done in the first instance. However it still kept trying to scan transponders that no longer exist, and I ended up disabling everything to do with automatic scans to stop it! That's fine, but of course, now it will no longer auto update!

JO: Thanks for pointing me to that. TVHeadend does offer the option of pointing to a scanfile in its menus, but it obviously either didn't like the file type I use for other apps, or I got the addressing sytntax wrong, as I couldn't get it to work! The dvb-scan folder contains a lot of individual scan files, rather than one big one, and uses a different format to my usual ones. This is probably why pointing to my own scanfile didn't work!

The problem is that all the data currently shipping with dvb apps is years out-of-date, and the files from which they were created no longer seem to exist! The only app I can fine that will do a full scan and include dvbt-2 is w_scan2, but that saves its info in an obsolete format and has to be upgraded (dvbV3 to dvbV5), which seems to lose some info in the process!

Nonetheless, I'm now doing a full scan of my local transmitter, and hopefully, I'll have a suitable file to replace te obsolete one in an hour or so. (Full scan takes a LONG time!)

Thanks again both of you for your very helpful answers.

--

Pete

• AFAIK, scan files are maintained here:

LinuxTV.org - Television with Linux

or

dtv-scan-tables.git - Digital TV scan tables

and TVH fetches them from there.

I would be wise and a benefit for others in your country to contact linuxtv direct (ML ?) so that outdated/wrong scan files could be updated

w_scan2

- used it with my Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2 moons ago -

seems to be outdated and replaced with w_scan_cpp (cit.: can output dtv scan tables für dvbv5-scan)

see:

w_scan_cpp

and

Frequency scan - LinuxTVWiki

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (May 21, 2022 at 9:22 PM).