LibreELEC 10.0.2 on RPi3B+ and performance

• Hello. Is libreelec 10.0.2 gui supposed to run visibly slower than 9.2.8 on rpi3b+?

I have been using 9.2.8 (and before that older 9.2.x) for quite long time and the gui was just mooth.

10.0.2 looks much sharper but I can feel it is slower (like longer reaction time, something like fps drop, etc.).

note: I performed clean installation of 10.0.2 without loading backup from 9.2.8.

Same here. Have you seen the message while installing that config.txt. is incompatible as well?

GPU MemSplit option whithin config.txt wiped out by 10.0.2 ?

(Aehm: right place for this discussion ?)

I have not seen such message.

I can't tell the difference for GUI. However, LE10.0.2 drops frames when playing videos on my RPi 3B+.

Interesting. Video playback appears to be OK on my system.

So, it would be good to know if version 10.0.2 / kodi 19.4 is more performance hungry or if i just needs some polishing.

• I do not have issues with playback (mostly H.264 video files up to BR 1080p remux and low quality 720p H.264 IPTV).

When I moved from 9.2.8 to 10.0.2 then the GUI appeared to be slower.

However, after few days it appears to be smooth. No reboot nor changes were applied.

So either I get used to it or ...I do not know.

H.265 - yes, I recall that. I tried to avoid H.265 on my RPi 3B+ as the performance was not consistent.

I suppose that the previous optimization for RPi2/3 used by kodi 18 will not be reworked for kodi 19.

I still have 1080p TV and most of the content I have is 1080p H.264.

Most of H.265 I found was at 2160p.

I found some 1080p H.265 which played well on RPi3B+ with kodi 18 but the picture quality looks somehow low, probably re-encoded H.264 file.

• I recently switched to 10.0.2 from 9.2.8 with my RPi3B and I'm having problems with playback of older DVD material, MPEG2-SD streamed from a NAS. I'm getting a "Read rate too slow for continuous playback" error. The video stutters and I lose audio-video sync. I don't get this problem playing back MPEG2-HD material from Blu-ray sources. There are no problems with H.264 or VC-1 sources. This seem to be isolated to the RPi3B. I have PC Libreelec also on 10.0.2 and it plays the same files without a problem. I tried increasing the video cache size but it made no difference.

• Can you play the MPEG2-SD file locally (e.g. copy to sdcard or usb stick and play from there?)

We need to determine if it's a network issue, or decode issue.

How is Pi connected to NAS? Fully wired or wireless? SMB/NFS/other?

An iperf test may be useful between Pi3 and NAS.

Are you using built in SMB/NFS/other support or OS support (e.g. mounting network drive outside of kodi then playing from there).

• Thanks. The Pi is on a wired connection to the NAS(Windows Server2008R2) on a gigabit network. The share is SMB through the Kodi. There is no problem playing even high bitrate BD(>35Mb/s) sources in .mkv format so it's not a network issue. Playing the file through USB stick causes the same problem so it must be a decode issue. File bitrates are <6500kb/s and from MPEG2-DVD sources. Interestingly MPEG2-HD files >20Mb/s from BD sources play fine. Were DVD and BD encoded differently despite being MPEG2?

• That's it. The SD sources are are interleaved top field first while the HD sources are all progressive scan. How do you check for hw decode during playback? I do have MPG2 decode enabled in my config.txt file.

Edited once, last by tkwou (May 5, 2022 at 9:37 PM).