Raspberry Pi Official Display does not work properly by default, so how can I make this fix stick with updates?

• Hiya! So I was having a problem with the Pi's official display not working with a pi4 with LibreELEC. When you boot the system, the screen flashes to the splash screen for a second then goes blank and does not work. I have connected the pi up to a hdmi display and it was working flawlessly. After a lot of digging around I found some old threads like this one with the same problem and its been around for a few years.

I have found a fix but it can be temporary as it involves editing the distroconfig.txt file on the boot partition.

The line dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512 has to be changed to dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d,cma-512

for the rpi's official display to work correctly but as mentioned at the top of the file to not change it as it will be overwritten with updates. So my question is, how can I make a change to the distroconfig file that WILL stick with updates?

• Keep distroconfig.txt as it is, just add dtoverlay=vc4-kms-dsi-7inch to the end of config.txt.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for the reply!

What you said to do works, the screen turns on and works fine, however, is there a way to flip the screen upside down? (I have an enclosure) I have looked into lcd_rotate but it doesn't work. The screen goes blank like before.

• Flipping the screen upside down should work by setting the "panel_orientation=upside_down" video option in cmdline.txt but IIRC kodi still ignores it. Read more about it here:

HiassofT
    July 8, 2021 at 8:44 PM

so long,

Hias

• Hi,

i used also the change from vc4-kms-v3d to vc4-fkms-v3d. This change works sucessfully and rotate the display always. The second benefit is, that kodi after this change are more stable. I use the raspberry with the 7 inch Display only for radio and with the vc4-kms-v3d driver the radio stocks the stream in short times. I must then plug off the audio line and plug in after to resolve the stream for shorter minutes.

Please no discussion about the on board audio line, it is not hifi but for me enough.

so long, Obi

Edited once, last by Obivan (February 19, 2023 at 4:41 PM).