Is onboard Bluetooth support for RPi3B still broken?

• As topic states, I'm wondering if there is still no solution to the onboard RPi3 BT issue (no adapter found). I'm running LE 9.2.8 on a RPi3B.

I dabbled in this quite a while ago, quickly gave up and bought a USB BT adapter instead. Now I needed it for another board and while I can just get another one, I just wanted to check if it's possible to get the onboard working first. I've searched the forum but I just find the old threads with the recommendations of getting another adapter.

The issue is still the same, despite enabling BT in LibreELEC settings it doesn't activate and the "No Bluetooth adapter found" message is shown. Bluetoothctl can't find an active adapter either. I know the adapter works as I can get it working in Raspberry Pi OS, so there must be some issue with LE it seems.

• I have had no problem using Bluetooth since I switched to LibreELEC two years ago due to BT issues of old OSMC. I have used many versions of LE and now it is 9.2.8 on my RPi3B+.

• I have had no problem using Bluetooth since I switched to LibreELEC two years ago due to BT issues of old OSMC. I have used many versions of LE and now it is 9.2.8 on my RPi3B+.

I don't believe the 3B and 3B+ use the same BT controller though. The WiFi/BT module is upgraded on the +, I have one of those as well and BT works in LE on that board. On the non+ it's always been broken for me at least.

EDIT: It seems the B uses a Broadcom BCM43438 while the B+ uses a Cypress CYW43455.

Edited once, last by osen (December 3, 2021 at 6:20 PM).