Fast forward -> press play -> time may jump back

• Hi.

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I have tried Google but this issue doesn't come up with my keywords.

I'm using an RPI 4 with version 10 but I have also used every version 9 on the same RPI4 4GB version. This issue is one I have observed on the RPI 3B+ 4 GB.

I am using KORE on my Android phone to use basic controls on the RPI4 with version 10. I use a really simple setup, vanilla install, that's it.

The issue:

So maybe I want to skip 2 minutes ahead or maybe 15 seconds back or maybe 5 minutes back etc. Lets say I skip forward x16 and I see that point that I want to play back from, it could be at 2:04. Then I press play and a few times it will play from 2:04 but most of the time it will maybe jump back to 1:47 or 1:24 or some other seemingly random time. It seems like something is buffering to slow.

I'm playing back from an SMB share on my local network. All is running gigabit network and I can pull around ~130 MB/s (mega bytes) from one PC to another so my network is OK i think.

I had hoped this issue could be fixed by version 10 combined with an RPI4 but it seems like it is just something that can't be done. I don't have this issue using a laptop even with some large files on the network on VLC in Windows. My initial thoughts are that this is a hardware limitation.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Does anybody know if this can be fixed in config or will I have to learn to live with it? Or am I using the software in the wrong way?

Thanks.

Edited once, last by dkrpi4 (October 27, 2021 at 9:41 PM).

• I have the same problem on RPi4 (my RPi3 works flawlessly) and I think it lies with the KODI code. Looking on their forum it seems its an issue with the mpg decoder.

With a .ts file FF & rewind work perfectly but with mp4 no way.

In my case the TV remote will not work with the RPi4 (again the RPi3 is perfect). My "solution" is to try a nightly release once a month and hope.