GPIO keyboard (Allwinner, RPi4)

• I made an aluminum case for one of my media centers. It has a built-in LCD display and several buttons connected to the GPIO. I was looking for how other users are solving the problem of controlling Kodi via GPIO. I found some options, but I didn't like anything. That's why I decided to create my own add-on for this purpose. I named it GPIO keyboard.

My add-on works on the principle of keyboard emulation. Pressing the button calls up a normal keyboard shortcut. For this to work, I had to create one more add-on. This is actually a python-evdev library, modified into a Kodi add-on form. This (binary) add-on is named the same as the original library, thus python-evdev (id = "script.module.evdev"). The python-evdev library is very powerful, and I think its use in Kodi add-ons could be much greater.

The GPIO keyboard add-on allows you to configure up to 16 buttons. Each button can have two functions (short or long press).

I made both add-ons in two versions. One is for Orange Pi boards (Allwinner), the other for Raspberry Pi 4.

There is no dedicated support area for Raspberry Pi created here, so I publish it together in the Allwinner space.

The GPIO keyboard add-on depends not only on the python-evdev add-on, but also on the Orange Pi Tools (or Raspberry Pi Tools) add-on.

Allwinner_addon_service.gpio-keyboard-001.zip

RPi4_addon_service.gpio-keyboard-001.zip

Source_addon_module.evdev-001.zip

Compiled_addon_module.evdev-001.zip

Edited 2 times, last by LuRu: Addition of information. (August 24, 2021 at 9:42 AM).