add file to TAR backup and file permissions

• I made a TAR backup with the libreelec backup function several days ago of a clean installation and now, after I filled the media database with my movies and tv shows, I changed 1 file. I would like to add that file to the TAR backup file. I can do that by copy the file to my windows pc and add it with 7z (compression)program to the TAR. What I notice is that the added file has different file permissions + user + group (see attached image). It becomes -rwxrwxrwx but it should be -rw-r--r--

1. Will this be a problem in the future when I restore that file, are the file permissions and user/group names not important?

2. Or is there another way to add this one file to the TAR with correct file permissions, maybe without the use of windows but through ssh? I'm not so good with coding but perhaps with a little help...

I have Raspberry Pi 4 with libreelec 10RC1 and a windows 10 laptop.

• Best Answer
    • Official Post

Windows does not understand Unix filesystem permissions, so while you can edit the file it will add new files with the equivalent of Unix 777 permissions. It's not a major issue for samba.conf, but make sure the file has Unix (not Windows) line endings as that will be an issue.

If you want things perfect, edit/add the file on the original system and take a new backup.