No USB on RPI 4 after upgrading to LE10 RC1

• Hi,

I upgraded my RPi4 (2GB model) from 9.95.5 to 9.97.1 and noticed that after upgrading all USB ports were disabled.

Couldn't find much on the dmesg output of interest apart from this:

After downgrading back to 9.95.5 USB is working again.

In a thread on the raspberry.org forum I found this post:

USB not working, VL805 CURRENT: 00000000 - Raspberry Pi Forums

So I again installed 9.97.1. After the update was finished the USB ports were, as expected, dead again.

I put the SD Card into a USB adapter and connected it to one of the USB2 ports and behold the raspi was booting from it and all USB ended up working.

So I have a RPI4 that would disable all USB ports during boot when the SD card is in its designated slot but if i boot it from a USB card reader everything's fine :huh:

I'm a bit of a loss with this and would appreciate any help.

• Thanks a lot for the logs, I could reproduce the issue now on my Pi 400 and it seems to be a RPi firmware issue.

Can you try updating the firmware files on the FAT partition of the SD card?

Download start4x.elf and fixup4x.dat from here GitHub - Hexxeh/rpi-firmware: Firmware files for the Raspberry Pi , rename them to start.elf and fixup.dat, respectively, copy them over the files on the SD card.

This fixed the issues on my Pi 400, no errors in the log and the (USB) keyboard worked, too.

so long,

Hias

• Can confirm, works like a charm.

Thank you very much for the quick help. :thumbup:
    I'll continue using the updated firmware files and get back if I'll notice ill effects.

• Confirmation:

Same issue on my Pi4 2G from 9.95.5 to 9.97.1.

After update 9.97.1 to nightly 20210803 all my USB-devices are back and are proper working! :)