Crackling sound in YouTube via headphone jack on Pi4

• Hello,

I am getting crackling static sounds while watching YouTube Videos on my Pi4 (4GB), Libreelec 95.3.

It only occurs in YouTube, while the audio is fine for offline mp3s or other streaming options.

This started occuring once I upgraded to Matrix 19 and still happened for the last 3 updates I installed.

Any advise on smart settings to try?

Thank you,

Beda

• Go to Best Answer
    • Official Post

I would advise you not to use the headphone jack. It is known that it has poor audio quality.

• Crackling audio is a known issue with H264 hardware decoding, adding audio_pwm_mode=1 to config.txt will fix that but result in lower audio quality.

so long,

Hias

• I would advise you not to use the headphone jack. It is known that it has poor audio quality.

Thank you, but like I said the audio is decent in other applications.

Crackling audio is a known issue with H264 hardware decoding, adding audio_pwm_mode=1 to config.txt will fix that but result in lower audio quality.

so long,

Hias

I will try that tonight and give feedback for others that might find this. Thank you!

Beda

• adding audio_pwm_mode=1 solved the crackling and popping, but all sound (both YouTube and the clicking sound in the GUI) is now really muffled and there is an "overlay" of static noise.

Is that to be expected of that setting?

I am still not convinced it is simply limited by the audio jack.
    a) it worked with no issue on Matrix 18 and
    b) it works in all other plugins, only youtube is causing the crackling