Libreelec 9.2.6 vs USB Bluetooth 5.X Dongles

• I have searched to the best of abilities to find answers to my questions. I am posting because I believe I know the answers but would like verification.

Setup: Stable 9.2.6 LibreELEC on an RPi3 (onboard BT 4.1). No Internet connection. locally attached SSD.

Everything works fine till I attach a Bluetooth headset. Then there is lag. Much research has uncovered several answers:

disable built in wifi

disable build int BT and add a dongle

I am on my way to solution, but in my case one of the largest contributors is that my bluetooth earphones were causing much of the lag. After a few days of troubleshooting I brought in a my wife's pair and that looks to have solved the issue. I am unwinding all my experimentation to find a base solution.

Here are my questions:

I found several posts where folks were saying that they just bought a BT5 dongle and started using it (with the appropriate config file changes). Every BT5 dongle I have seen threads about is using the RTL8761B chip (which requires using nightly LE 10 or recompile of 9.2.6). I have purchased a BT5.1 (Techkey USB on Amazon) dongle and have had it working under the nightly builds. Is it safe to say the following? There are no BT5 dongles that are plug and play with LE 9.2.6. If you want to utilize a BT5 dongle you have to move to nightly build or recompile 9.2.6 and add patches.

Second question. There is talk about how the built in BT on the RPi3 is lacking. Using the command line I have verified that the BT on my Pi is 4.1. Every BT4 dongle I look at states it is 4.0. Would a BT4.0 USB be a better solution than the built in 4.1 on the Raspberry Pi 3? Has anyone seen a 4.1 or 4.2 BT USB dongle? I am trying to determine how much effort I need to put into finding a > 4.0 dongle.

Any info is welcome. Thank you for reading.