LE10 - RPi4 - Dual headed HDMI TV+AVR - EDID issues - Workaround

• Apologies offered, the forum software was giving me a 524 timeout error when I tried to post this, I did not see that it was anyway posting multiple versions... So, so sorry...

Hello!

I am using an RPi 4 in a dual headed scenario, I can't upgrade my HDMI 1.4 Denon AVR-2310 (2009) at the moment:

• RPi 4 4 GB
    • TV on HDMI0
    • AVR on HDMI1
    • nightly-20210426-090e00d

I am switching from a 2007 Toshiba FHD TV to a new Sony XH90 4K HDR.

I am experiencing an EDID issue. I had mentioned it a few days ago, but this time I have debug logs and data points, as well as a work around:

Case 1 - Single headed - Toshiba 1080p TV - Video and audio through AVR - Working

Case 2 - Dual headed - Toshiba 1080p TV - Video to TV, sound through AVR - Working

Case 3 - Dual headed - Sony 4K HDR TV - Video to TV, sound through AVR - Video OK, no sound on AVR

Case 4 - Dual headed - Sony 4K HDR TV - EDID trick - Video to TV, sound through AVR - Working

The AVR EDIDs of Case 2 and 3 are quite different.

It's to be noted that the AVR also has its output connected to the TV. I'm guessing that it is creating an EDID mixing the TV's capabilities. In case 3, that must be confusing LE10 no ends. But is it really LE10's fault? I'll leave that to your judgement.

My workaround is to use getedid and acquire a working AVR EDID, then manually force it upon LE10. I'm afraid that I may gather mismatched delay data on the way and have weird lip sync... But heh, still better than no sound!

Have fun with this!

Thanks!

Edited 3 times, last by camelreef (April 29, 2021 at 2:54 PM).

• Yup, more an AVR issue than LE10.

I have an Intel NUC connected to the AVR too, receiving an EDID just as confusing as the RPi. Same workaround: fixed EDID file from before the TV was changed!

Well, I hope that the post will help people bumping into this use case!