Raspberry Pi 4 and audio via HDMI

• I currently have a RPi4 with LE 9.2.5 installed. At the moment I only use the music library. I have the HiFiBerry digi+ attachment providing audio to an old Yamaha AVR (no HDMI inputs/outputs), so may consider getting a new AVR. I would be grateful if forum members could answer / give some thought to the following for me.

1. Is my pi capable of sending all the common audio sample rates through the HDMI ports 44.1 kHz; 48; 88.2; 96; 176.4; 192 kHz? I know Kodi can resample but I would prefer a bit-perfect set up if this is achievable.

2. Because of the ease and availability of movie streaming services I have never investigated how easy (or how difficult) it is to rip my own DVD, HD DVD, or Blu-Ray discs. It is rare for me to play discs now because it is so much easier and quicker to just click a few buttons on my Amazon Fire TV / Roku devices. I only have pretty basic PC computing power and it was basic when it was new, it is now 5 years old, but it does include a DVD drive. I have a collection of about 400 discs, which is split approx. 250 DVD; 80 HD DVD; and 70 Blu-ray. I am retired, so have time to do this, but the enjoyment and perceived cost/benefit ratio of undertaking projects of this kind seems to diminish with age. I would welcome opinions on this potential project.

Kind regards from Jeff

• Ripping CD's, DVD's and Blu Rays is very time consuming. I found that ripping music CD's was well worth it. DVD's and Blu Rays not only take longer to rip but playing the ripped copies back using Kodi is very clunky since the menus don't always work properly and it's really slow to navigate, especially music DVD's. I hand picked the few I really wanted to watch more than once and ripped, and converted them to MKV with chapters. This really took some time but the end result was excellent. MakeMKV is the program I used. You may have to buy a license to use it now.

I chose to rip my music CD's to FLAC (lossless). The FLAC files are quite large compared to mp3, so you'll need more storage space for them. I'm retired too and my old ears can barely hear any difference between a good mp3 and a FLAC file.

• Thanks for your thoughts blueribb. Like you I ripped my CDs to FLAC 7 years ago. I converted some of the FLAC collection to mp3 for playing on my 'phone and from time to time I convert flac files to mp3 as and when required. I think it is a good idea to rip to a lossless format like flac initially as if you rip directly to mp3 there is no getting back the discarded data even if our older ears cannot hear a difference. The amount of additional storage needed for FLAC (over mp3) was not at all cost prohibitive even 7 years ago. The jury's still out on whether I undertake a project to rip my movie discs, but thanks again for your thoughts.