[Regression] Raspberry Pi 3 HDMI output broken after upgrade to 9.2.x

• Platform: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

Since the upgrade from LibreELEC 9.0.2 to LibreELEC 9.2.3 HDMI output is no longer working properly in combination with my Panasonic PT-AT5000E projector. It worked nicely for the last couple of years but since the upgrade to LibreELEC 9.2.3 I can only see the LibreELEC boot logo, the moment Kodi starts up I'm losing the HDMI signal.

To rule out any upgrade issues I flashed a new and fresh LibreELEC 9.2.3 to another SD card and booted that. HDMI output is working, Kodi boots up in 1080i - the moment I switch to 1080p my projects looses the HDMI signal again.

I did a bit of debugging and it looks like something's broking with the Raspberry Pi itself - maybe due to newer firmware? But decide for yourself:

LibreELEC 9.0.2

That shows normal operation with Kodi running just as it should.

LibreELEC 9.2.3

That's a fresh LibreELEC installation, right after boot. No setting has been changed so far.

After switching to 1080p (and loosing the HDMI signal) it looks like this:

Code
    # tvservice -s
    state 0xa [HDMI CEA (115) RGB lim 16:9]

HDMI CEA mode 115 seems to be 2160p48 - I'm 100% sure my projector does not support that mode. On LibreELEC 9.0.2 it's not present.

I enabled Kodi debug logging and uploaded the relevant files/information:

Code
    # paste /storage/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
    http://ix.io/2oRr

# dmesg | paste
    http://ix.io/2oRt

I do have a EDID dump (taken with tvservice --dumpedid edid.bin) in case you need it.

• Thanks for the edid file, I could reproduce the issue with it.

It looks like your projector has a broken edid, edid-decode throws up a lot of "Unknown tag 0" errors and a "Broken CTA audio block length 13" error.

RPi firmwares up to a year ago (Jun 10 2019 to be more specific) coped better with it, but later firmwares trip over that. I've flagged that to the RPi devs.

so long,

Hias

• WOW, thanks for the super quick analysis, awsome!

Just let me know if there's something I can test on my end. Unfortunately there's no firmware update (or the like) available for the projector :/

Will simply stay on 9.0 for now.

• Staying on 9.0 is probably the easiest solution for now.

Another possibility would be fixing the edid, if you add hdmi_edid_file=1 to config.txt the RPi will read edid.dat from the /flash partition. Unfortunately I can't help much with fixing the edid, I'm not really familiar with the edid editor programs.

Anyways, we'll keep you posted if we got something to test!

so long,

Hias

• You guys are awesome!

Just activated the patched EDID file, works like a charm. 1080p@24 1080p@50 1080p@60 720p@50 720p@60 all seem to work just fine.

I tested with a fresh 9.2.3 as well as with my original installation (now upgraded to 9.2.3 again), looks very good.

I even gave 3D (1080p frame packing) a quick (!) go, seems to work. Kodi uses (half?-)side-by-side now by default (but my Raspi 3 is not really fast enough for that) but after manually switching to top-bottom it looks good.

Shout-out to 6by9 for fixing the EDID information!