no cifs filesystem available after nfs boot

• Hello my fellow LibreELECtrions,

I've been successfully using LE for more than two years on my laptop and the raspberry pi 3 without much hassle ... it just works and is well documented here in the forum and the wiki.

So it came down to me trying something new during the Covid lockdown, like nfs boot the raspberry - mainly to lighten the sdhc card write load, thus save some of the card's lifespan.

Thanks to the nfs boot wiki I manged to migrate disk and boot to my NAS. It now boots almost as well as it did before when I ran things from the card - except that I'm no longer using the network-online.target of systemd anymore (for obvious reasons I guess - my ip is assigned with dhcp right at the top of the netboot process).

But without that service the cifs filesystem has vanished from /proc/filesystems along with smb3. So my nifty systemd storage-dvds.mount job no longer works, as it can't mount a filesystem the kernel knows nothing about. I thought I could modprobe the module as usual, but apparently it's not to be found, as a quick modinfo cifs states.

So here's where I'm stuck at the moment. I can use the kodi cifs client successfully, but it lacks a cifs mount option I preferably use (nomapposix).

Anybody can pitch in here and explain, how to get the cifs+smb3 module up and running again with network boot?