Can't get my IR receiver to work

• Hi,

I recently installed LibreELEC 8.2.5 on my old HTPC and I am trying to set up IR receiver to control it from a remote instead of keyboard/mouse. However, while the system sees the IR device, it doesn't seem to receive anything when I am pressing the remote(s). I tried to follow multiple guides (not only) from LibreELEC, but with no success.

I am using the receiver built in my USB DVB dongle (Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Diversity Stick 2001e), which uses the "dib0700" driver.

When I enter the ir-keytable command, the device is listed, but when I try ir-keytable -d/dev/input/event11 -t, it doesn't seem to output anything, no matter which remote I am using (tried around 5 different remotes from various brands).

The device also refuses to change protocols when the ir-keytable -d/dev/input/event11 -t -p NEC command is used, which responds with /protocol: Read-only file system Couldn't change the IR protocols.

Am I missing something? Do I need to specify the remote which I am using to see anything from the command? I haven't done anything else than plug the device and run the command.

I tried to look it up, but I can't find a thread with the same problem as I have. I also tried to use LIRC but again with no success.

If you have any idea please respond.

P.S. I am not using the DVB to anything else apart from as an IR rec., but the device gets warm as if running on full power. Is it possible to turn off the tuner part of the device to use only the IR sensor? Thanks.

LibreELEC:~ # ir-keytable

Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event11) with:

Driver dib0700, table rc-dib0700-rc5

Supported protocols: rc-5 nec rc-6  

Enabled protocols: rc-5  

Name: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB re

bus: 3, vendor/product: 2304:0229, version: 0x0001

Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

• I use the HP IR Receivers along with Logitech Harmony 665 Remotes. The remotes are programmed using the Microsoft Media Center Extender profile. They work perfectly with Libreelec.

Here's what the IR Receiver looks like:

HP IR Receiver

• I use the HP IR Receivers along with Logitech Harmony 665 Remotes. The remotes are programmed using the Microsoft Media Center Extender profile. They work perfectly with Libreelec.

Here's what the IR Receiver looks like:

HP IR Receiver

Thanks for your answer, I would look into buying one of those if i fail to fix my currect IR receiver.
    I still want to figure out what is wrong my receiver though, so I would welcome any guesses what could be wrong.

• Ok, so apperantly protocol: Read-only file system Couldn't change the IR protocols is a bug in LIRC, and I am supposted to not specify the device and run it just with other options. I also forgot to mention that I turned kodi off while doing this as it was in the guide, but still with no luck. Could it be that the DVB only works with remotes from the same company (Pinnacle)? At this point it is the only conlusion that I can think of.

• First of all I'd recommend updating to LE 9.2 - 8.2.5 is quite old.

To change the protocol simply use ir-keytable -p ... (leaving out the -d device) or specify the rcX device with -s rcX.

Your IR receiver is a bit limited as it contains a hardware decoder that only supports a few protocols. It should work fine with the remote that came with it but it- could well be the remotes you tried use a protocol that this receiver can't understand.

For further info also check the Wiki: Infrared Remotes [LibreELEC.wiki]

so long,

Hias

• Hi, thanks a lot for your answer! As for the version, I sadly cannot update, because my PC contains an old integrated Nvidia GPU (GTX 9200G), which isn't supported in newer versions - screen goes black after boot.
    You are right about the change of protocol, I realized that later on. I don't have the remote that the manufacturer intended to use with the device, as it was sold separatly and is no longer available. But I do have an Xbox One IR remote, which is based on NEC protocol which is stated as supported, and LE even have the profiles preinstalled, but again the receiver shows nothing even after selecting it and trying ir-keytable -t.
    So it looks like there is nothing that can be done other than to buy new receiver?

• It's a bit odd that the Xbox remote doesn't work. I checked the driver code and it should support all variants of the NEC protocol.

Getting an (HP branded) MCE receiver is the best option. The IR receiver in these DVB dongles isn't too great, it reacts quite sluggish and I often had issues with it as well in the past (even with the Hauppauge RC5 remote that came with it).

so long,

Hias